Visa for US citizen timeline

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Belgium in soon (I am already there, my wife is planning to come in October). I am a french citizen and found a job in Brussels. My wife got a job too but she needs a visa.

The visa process has been started, we have gathered the necessary documents and got them notarized.

We are quite confused by the various visa we need to apply to, between the single permit, the work permit, the Visa D, the city hall registration, etc.

We were hoping to launch the visa process in the US, fly her to Europe on a tourist visa and manage to get her a long term permit and work permit from there.

I have tried to contact the Belgian consulate in Los Angeles, but they have not been responsive at all.

Can any one help us clarify the timeline and which steps to follow?

Thanks a lot !
Alex

What's the nationality of your significant other? (which passports?)
Are you married? Any legal status? or not?
If not married yet, do you know each other since more than 2 years or did you live more than 1 year together in America or elsewhere?

Depending on your answers, you'll have the right answers and we will give you the best advices.

And so, depending on your case (married, not married but know each other since 2 years/lived together before), your significant other would be eligible to do a family reunion with a European citizen.
So no single/work permit needed when she'll get her F card (Family member of a EU)

You basically have 2 choices: family reunion through the marriage or legal cohabitation if unregistered marriage.
Else (if not eligible): tourist visa 90 days max per 180 days.

Hi Alex,

She is a US citizen, we are married, and she has a job offer lined-up to start work in November,

Thanks for your response,

Alex

Oh well, she comes as a tourist for 90 days then you go to your town hall together to register her arrival + start the family reunion process.

==> article 40bis, law of 15-12-1980 : third country + EU citizen who exercised his right to freely move inside another EU country.

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/FR/Guid … gique.aspx

Make sure she gets all the papers (recent - less than 6 months) BEFORE living America: certificate of birth, marriage, of good conduct, ... (legalized/apost/affidavit)
English papers will probably be ok, but you need to ask them if they want FR/NL/DE.

+++++++++ you must have the "E" ID card (European citizen in Belgium), a registered loan/bought an apartment/house + work + probably sponsor her (annexe 3bis)

Contact the embassy in Washington to know exactly which papers she will need, they should reply :)https://unitedstates.diplomatie.belgium … ation-visa

ok thanks Alex!
That is really helpful