Payment methods in Belgium

Hello everyone,

Once you're settled in Belgium, you will need to make some basic purchases, like groceries or pay bills. Hence, it is essential to know the payment methods available in your host country.

Which are the most common payment methods in Belgium? Why would you prefer some forms over others?

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Belgium?

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Belgium?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello,
I live in small town in Wallonia.
So maybe it's differin other parts of the country but usually one pays with the card. Except at times like in buses you need to have some cash on you to pay on entry , also some small shops African hair saloons usually prefer cash.
I hope this is helpful.

Hello Priscilla,

Which are the most common payment methods in Belgium? Why would you prefer some forms over others?
- Cash payment is still in effect everywhere with a limit of 3000 € at the merchants.
- Payment by credit card is more and more preferred for reasons of security and traceability.

Does the amount of money or the type of paid services (groceries, bills, rent, etc.) determine the choice of payment methods?

- In cash payment, no limit between individuals. But 3000 € at a shopkeeper.
- In bank payment, there is no limit except that of the money you own

Are there any apps at your disposal which make the payment process easier in Belgium?
- Every bank has its application +/- well developed. Best one for me is Belfius' one
- https: //www.comparatif-compte-bancaire. ... que-mobile

Can certain foreign currencies be used to make payments?
- Officially no
- However, in tourist cities, there are somes who accept but give the rest in euros.

Have your habits in terms of payment methods changed since moving to Belgium?
- - Having almost never or little cash on me, I'm always bored when I'm at a merchant who does not use card payments.

Hi,
I have no bank account here I am using the currency notes which I got converted. Here they accept international debit and credit cards.