Any Afrikaners here in Melbourne ?

As my profile says, I have been here in Australia for 3 years now, and I have not once met another Afrikaner.

I really miss talking with people who understand you, and come where you came from, we have so much more in common I think.

Anyway, I am 28, male live in the St Kilda East area, and would love to meet some afrikaners for a braai, a cold beer and whatever else.

btw I lived in Cape Town for a long time and then the UK before coming here. any capetonians here lol ?

Hi voodo!  I am currently in Perth but will be moving to Melbourne in January.  I am glad there are some Afrikaners in Melb too.

What's Melbourne like?

Hi C4U

Melbourne is usually cold and overcast and always has wind or rain :P

but when the sun is out it really is very nice here, personally I am glad I made melbs my new home, even tho the weather is crappy for a better part of the year.

The people are nice enough and I don't really have any complaints.

As for the better suburbs ? that all depends, how far from the CBD do you want to live and how much do u want to spend on rent ?

Nice areas 15 - 20min by train from the cbd is South Yarra, Toorak, Prahan, Windsor, St Kilda...St kilda being the more laid back, trendy, if not somewhat hippy neighborhood.

Where toorak and south yarra are nice, but more snobbish and more expensive, but there is a bonus, i lived in south yarra for 2 years and we only had ONE resident hobo who lived around there and he never bothered anyone. never heard drunken people at nights fighting and screaming, where as st kilda where i am living now there are alot more druggy type people and a at least one fight somewhere close to us over weekends.

anything else you want to know ?

Hi Voodo

Yey!! Afrikaaners! Ek is nou al 4 jaar in Melbourne en hoor glad nie baie afrikaans nie!
Ek trek hierdie naweek West Melbourne toe.
Ek kom van die vrystaat af so mis die afrikaans nogal erg.
Wat maak jy hier in Melbourne?

Hey,

Ek werk in West Melbourne =P

Nice :)
Ek is n accountant en werk in die stad  toe besluit ek dit sal makliker wees om net nader te trek sodat ek nie meer hoef trein te ry elke oggend nie!
Is jy oorspronklik afrikaans?

Ek is afrikaans gebore ja! en jy ?

Kyk, die public transport hier is a miljoen keer beter as s.a maar vokkit ek haat dit, is altyd packed en een persoon stink altyd, is gross :D

Ek wil binnekort terug stad to trek, ek is nou al in amper 4 jaar van south yarra na little collins street, na little bourke street tot st kilda toe, en ek hou baie meer daarvan om in die stad te bly.

ek werk in IT btw.

yup....ek is ook afrikaans gebore.

maar ek het net tot st 6 toe in afrikaans skool gegaan, toe trek ons Dubai toe waar ek toe hoerskool klaar gemaak het.

Ja dit is die PACKED treine wat my werk. Ek klim by parliment op en teen daai tyd is elke sitplek al gevat so ek moet vir 50 min saan en op almal val elke keer as die trein stop! Kan nogal baie snaaks wees hehe En die vibe in die stad is net so lekker, en dit is naby aan alles en jy hoef nie te worry oor taxis na n aand uit nie :)

Ek kan nie wag vir die naweek nie! Dit gaan soooo lekker wees om maandag ook lekker te kan laat slaap.

Hey Sagirl... haha, ek kies altyd SA.Girl as my web name....
Ek is ook 'n accountant en gaan in North Melb werk.  Ek is oppad Melbourne toe vir die naweek van 24/6 - 28/6 om te besluit of ek die oorplasing van Perth af wil he.

Voodoo, dankie vir al die info!  Ek wil asb nie tussen die snobs bly nie!  Net 'n nice laid back area met genoeg winkels vir die nodige....

Kan ons nou maar almal hier Afr praat?

C4U

haha...ja dit is altyd die maklikste naam om te onthou!
Ek is seker jy sal dit hier in Melbourne geniet!

ook n accountant? Hoe weird is dit? Ek is n auditor...watse area is jy in?

haha twee accountants, ek weet nie hoekom dit snaaks is nie maar dit is :P

ek nie geweet dat maandag n vakansie dag is nie, dankie vader jy my nou gese want ek so maandag werk toe gekom het! queens birthday ? god bless the queen.....for my lazy day off :)

C4U I reckon the nicest place to live is either in the CBD, but a more laid back area would be windsor and st kilda east perhaps, it is close to chapel street for lots of shopping, close to the beach and is a nice area for small shops, cafe's, nice resturaunts and other things to occupy your time. and rent is not too expensive either.

ek kom nou eers agter ek dit in engels geskryf!

Haha Voodoo, jy't verengels jong!

SA - Ek is in Commercial Management op die oomblik.  Was in SA Financial Manager in die manufacturing area.

Hello,

Could you please write in English in this English forum so that other members can understand and participate in the discussion?

Thank you very much, :)
Christine

Christine wrote:

Hello,

Could you please write in English in this English forum so that other members can understand and participate in the discussion?

Christine

:D

Voodoo - How do you get to Thursday and not know that it is a public holiday? I live from one to the next! lol Although it would have been very amusing if you did turn up to work monday morning bright and early :p

I live in my own little world most of the time, and it's far away from the real world :|

Nah haha I have had ALOT in my mind the past few weeks, booking a trip to Hong Kong, Bangkok and Koh Samui and doing it 6 months in advance with no passport yet ( mine expired ) is stressful, and I kept changing my flight and hotel details over and over again. I think I may have some type of commitment phobia disorder thingy :/ I hardly did any work the whole week I was so obsessed with making sure it is perfect.

the scary thing is i was going to wait untill maybe august or november to start booking my trip, and guess what....just about ALL of the cheapest hong kong hotels are FULLY booked already, i couldn't believe it, so glad I booked early, managed to find a few good deals at least.

/rant

Hi Folks, us Boertjies, one from Durban and the other from Odendaalsrus living out here in the western suburbs in Caroline Springs.  It is lovely clean and civil suburb.  I can strongly recommend it.  We would like to meet other South African Afrikaans folk.

Wie is lus vir braai?

:)

Hi Paul & George,

I'm still in Perth but will be moving to Melbourne in January '12.

I'm still looking at suburbs.  What will you reoommend Paul & George?

I'm a single mom, don't want to pay toooooo much, but still decent.  I need to be close to public transport for my daughter to get to uni.

Voodoo, you were right about some of them!!  I had a look around in June.  :(

Cheers,

Enige iemand up vir n get together.

Hey, ek altyd reg vir brai.  Nuut in Melbourne, oorgetrek vanaf Auckland 'n maand terug.

Christine wrote:

Hello,

Christine

:whistle:

Christine, no offense but the group name is "Any Afrikaners in Melbourne".  Surely the Afrikaners are entitled to write in their native language if it's their preference?

Howzit Julle.

Ek is nuut in Melbourne en will so n paar Suid Afrikaaners ontmoet! (Translation for Christine: I am new in Melbourne and want to meet a couple of South Africans);)

Cheerz,
Chris

Hi almal Afrkaans, ek ariveer in january van perth, is daar al n lekker braai groep ve catch ups?
Ek gan in die cbd werk en selfs drinks na werk sal nice wees!
Sien uit om n paar afrikaners te ontmoet!!

Hello MariB, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.:)

Not sure if you would be interested in going to a Braai to meet other South Africans? It is being organised by a local group from a church in the South East.
Below is the information in Afrikaans and below that also in English.
Thanks

Richard.

Kom geniet ‘n Saterdag middag saam met ons in Jells Park waar Suid-Afrikaners by mekaar kom vir ‘n lekker daggie uit. 

Wanneer:  3 de  Maart 2012
Tyd:            12 n.m
Waar:         Jells Park, Wheelers Hill

Wat om saam te bring:
Jells Park het die fasiliteite om te braai (ons praat van regte braai op kole), so as jy wil bring ‘n boerewors of tjopie saam of jy kan selfs jou eie piekniek mandjie bring. Iets om te drink en onthou die sonbrandmiddel. 

Vir meer ingligting kan julle vir 
Linda  (0427 852 840) of 
Irene (0425 725 100) kontak. 

Come and join us on a Saturday afternoon at Jells Park where South Africans come together for a braai.

When:  3 rd  March 2012
Time:    12pm
Where: Jells Park. Wheelers Hill

What to bring with:
Jells Park has the facility for a real braai. You can bring some boerewors or meat or you can bring your own picnic basket to enjoy the afternoon.
Something to drink and don't forget the sunscreen.   

For more information please 
contact Linda (0427 852 840)
or Irene (0425 725 100).

Hi all,

My wife and I just moved to Melbourne from Joburg (been here a month) and are looking to meet other SA Peeps,

If you are interested in having a coffee with us please send me a message so we can swap contact details, we are East Melbourne, but have wheels so happy to meet anywhere.

Cheers
Nev

Hi, I am also an expat Afrikaner living in Melbourne, been here for only 2 months, but so far, so good, was very happy to find some boerewors at the local supermarket, now to find some people to braai with, anybody interested ?

Hi Boertjie,  which supermarket and suburb?  I've been here 4 months and couldn't find any!

Where do you live, a braai will be good.

Cheers
C4U

Hi C4U, I am near South Yara (Prahran), the supermarket is on Chapel street, forgive me I forgot the name, will check and let you know

Hey Boertjie, i sent you a PM on the forums, with contact details so we can hook up, my wife and i are in Hawthorn so just round the corner

Thanks regulatorychaos, got your contact details, I am currently in Bangkok, hope to be back in Melbourne end of June

Hey, The SA Shop also have boerewors and biltong and droewors all the time.

I've been in Melbourne now for almost a year and would love to meet up with some of you as well.  I'm in North East suburb - Templestowe.  Anyone interested in doing a braai soon?  Or perhaps meet up for drinks after work in the cbd one day?

Hello all,
Just joined yday :)  how is everyone?  I've been living in Melbourne for 4 years via NZ via SA and am seriously feeling the need to practice my Afr!  I'm currently in Flemington.  Love the South African shop but its such a trek to get there so real biltong & koeksisters is a treat.  Would love to catch up for a couple of bevvies after work if anyone else is keen :)

Hi Karolientjie, I'm up for drinks in the city after work next week (Friday would be best day).

Hi All

Would love to know more about your experiences in moving to Melbourne, I am looking to move over in the next year. But will be coming over in the next month to activate my visa.

Cheers

Alan