Visa Process

I am looking to partner with a friend who has an existing company in Mauritius to open a new restaurant. I will run the show and be a shareholder. What visa should I get, occupancy or a work visa and what is the process. Advice is hugely appreciated.

I would suggest you get in contact with a registered and approved consultancy firm in Mauritius to help you with the situation and the procedures - formalities, administrative and legal.

Quite a bunch of them here like Temple Group, Rogers Capital, BDO, etc.

Coming to your question, I would say you will have to go for an Occupation Permit as an Investor.
Now there are 5 different categories of Investor Permit each with different set of conditions to be met.

In order to be a shareholder in a local company, you'll need to apply for an occupation permit as investor - with requirements such as transfer of minimum of 100,000 USD and ensure turnover of at least Rs 12 million in the first three years of operation.
On the other hand, you may wish to consider applying for a self-employed occupation permit, based on your skills in restaurant management – but you don't have shares in a company here.
Procedures are quite simple, but first and foremost, you need to have a plausible business plan. You may message me for other details.