Legal Advice for Pregnant American in Paris

Hello everyone!

I would greatly appreciate any advice (or possibly a referral to an attorney if anyone has a specific lawyer in mind) regarding residency procedures for pregnant, foreign women in France. 

I (the mother) am American, and my boyfriend (the father) is French. I became pregnant while I was finishing my graduate degree in Switzerland. I am currently four and a half months along, and just joined my boyfriend in Paris (as a tourist for the next 90 days).

We have more or less figured out health care (though if anyone has been in a similar situation, I would be grateful to hear about your experience). However, we are having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do in order to apply for my residency as the foreign partner of a French citizen, and 'impending' mother of a French citizen.

We do plan on getting married, and are open to a civil union, but it appears I would have to return to the States after the 90 days if we go that route (at which point I will be nearly eight months pregnant, not ideal and maybe not even possible).

It is difficult to find information about the procedures for non-EU parents before the arrival of the baby. We are currently looking for an attorney, but would really appreciate any information anyone may have, or to learn about similar experiences from families who have been in such situations in the meantime.

We would just like to remain together while fully respecting the rules and regulations here in France, and sincerely thank anyone for their time and assistance! 

Best,

Erin

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please don't promote your services on the forum. Advertising is not allowed. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,

No need for a lawyer, the case is already planned for a long time. Your French companion must make an early recognition of the child to be born near the town hall where he lives.

Recognition of paternity is a voluntary act that establishes parentage between father and child, before or after birth.

Unlike the declaration of birth of the child, established at the town hall of the place of birth in the 3 days following the birth, which is obligatory, the recognition is a voluntary step of the father. "For an unmarried couple, filiation must be established with respect to the father and the mother. For the mother, it is enough that her name appears in the birth certificate, the filiation is then automatic. To establish paternity, the father must, for his part, recognize his child before or after birth. "

Recognize your child before or after birth
Throughout the pregnancy, the future dad can already recognize the baby to be born and this, in any town hall. To do this, he must present his identity card and make his declaration to the civil status. The day of the declaration of birth, he will have to think to present a copy of the act in town hall! But, generally, fathers recognize their child at the time of mandatory birth registration, within 3 days of birth. "It is an important act for the father, because he establishes the filiation with regard to the child with rights, such as to see him and to participate in his education, and obligations, such as to provide for his children. food needs ". The father can also recognize the child after the birth, at any time, on presentation of his identity card in the town hall of his choice. However, once the child is 1 year old or older, the father will not have the exercise of parental authority. However, he or she may make a joint declaration to exercise it with the mother, or refer the matter to the Family Affairs Judge.

And regarding your visa, the case will be automatically settled. Because as soon as the father of French nationality recognizes the child. The child becomes French. And since the law does not allow the mother of her baby to be separated for no serious reason, you will obtain the right of residence.

Thank you so much for your thorough reply! We still aren't sure if my boyfriend can recognize the baby before I am six months along (which is soon!) but regardless we can probably just go ask at the city office together this week rather than getting a lawyer after all. We just want to make sure we do everything correctly before she arrives in January. Again, thank you for the kind and thoughtful answer! Have a great day!