Dual Passport Situation

Just wondering what people with dual passports (EEUU and Spain) are doing when you enter Spain to live there for a prolonged time.  I have always shown my American passport entering Spain because i would only stay there for 3 months or so, and even if i stayed longer they usually just stamped it with no questions.

Now I have a family and im looking forward to moving to Spain and residing there full time, traveling for work in all countries but keep BCN and my home base.

these are some of the questions I have been working on getting solved though this forum might be a good place.

1.  If im going to be living in Spain what passport do I use to get in.

2. How do i justify when I get back to the US there are no stamps on my Passport?

3.  Is there any risk of losing US nationality in these actions.

4.  I always considered the option of entering another country and driving to BCN.  Arrive in Paris, stamp US passport, then drive to Spain.  Dont know if this makes any sense, i know there is always ways around things, just trying to hear what other people do.

I've lived most of my live in Spain and when through the process of Nacionalizacion for a long time so understand Spain and Spanish system,

thanks for your ideas and sharing

D

I have a US and a EU passport

You MUST (certainly by law in the USA) show the passport pertaining to teh country you enter or leave.
In our case, we must show the US passport at the US border both ways and in Spain the same. When traveling to the USA you also be asked to show your US passport and often they have it on record in their computers.

Since you do not need a visa with both those passports to be shown, there is no matter of getting any exit/entry stamp in play.

As to losing your nationality, US nationality cannot be lost (biggest pain in teh a***, worse US citizens are almost the only ones who owe teh US government eterally so all their lives taxes regardless of where they live, a very rare tax regime that is constitutionally illegal since laws are territorial in nature not global but enforced anyway).

In Europe several countries have laws specific only to their country about loss of nationality. Dutch nationsl (for example) lose their nationality after living 10 years outside the EU. So your risk is biggets with your Spanish passport. Make sure to check if you are still Spanish before going there. And no, as passport is NOT the same as "having a nationality". Good legal advice is important anyway since the consequences of losing one's nationality are often dire.

This may get you started on this subject as far as your Spanish nationality goes.

https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satelli … cionalidad

Dennis, whilst there are a few exceptions, most people who obtain a Spanish passport are required to renounce all other nationalities.  In
those cases it is a criminal offence to have a spanish PP and another.

NB     I did say there are a few exceptions.  You may be one of those, if so please ignore this post

Regards.  John