American bank ATM's in Da Nang

I have Wells Fargo accounts and am having infinite amounts of trouble accessing my money and getting charged exorbitant fees.  I would like to open up a new American account with a different banking company.  Any Americans have a bank they can recommend which:
- Has ATM's in Da Nang that actually work
- Charge low or no international ATM fees
- Will send an ATM/debit card to Vietnam

EmiCVale wrote:

I have Wells Fargo accounts and am having infinite amounts of trouble accessing my money and getting charged exorbitant fees.  I would like to open up a new American account with a different banking company.  Any Americans have a bank they can recommend which:
- Has ATM's in Da Nang that actually work
- Charge low or no international ATM fees
- Will send an ATM/debit card to Vietnam

I was surprised to see these questions raised by you, since you are a high school math teacher and have worked as an actuary for 6 years.

Anyway, it's really difficult if not impossible to do by yourself here.

There has been a TON of discussion about this on the Vietnam forum (not just limited to Danang).

I use Charles Schwab bank which doesn't "have" any ATMs here, but rebates me for all ATM fees FOR WITHDRAWALS (not inquiries or receipt printing fees) monthly.

Most ATMs here accept my chip Visa debit card, but I know of at least ATMs in Danang where my card won't work.

Sacombank and Agribank and ACB and MB (Military Bank) always work for me.

However, you probably need the help of someone in The States (using their address) to apply for the account.

Your stateside helper will need to mail the initial card to you.

Later, if you lose your card here while in "extended travel" status, Schwab will mail you a card quickly, without charge.

Some people swear by Fidelity, but again, I doubt you can open an account from here.

You will almost certainly need to attest that you are living in the states to start an account, and have your helper forward the card to you here.

First step would be to download applications here, sign them and then mail to your friend.

Good luck

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

However, you probably need the help of someone in The States (using their address) to apply for the account.

Your stateside helper will need to mail the initial card to you.

Good idea.  I had NY Life cancel out a life insurance policy because I sent a form from Vietnam. 

Scottrade insists you must have a US address and be a resident to open an account but makes a major exception for Chinese.  I guess that Hong Kong money is too good to turn down.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Most ATMs here accept my chip Visa debit card, but I know of at least ATMs in Danang where my card won't work.

Correction. This should read:

"but I know of at least THREE ATMs in Danang where my card won't work."

Yeah, try Charles Schwab or First Republic Bank. They both will refund you your ATM fees at the end of the month. I find that First Republic has more security features set up to safeguard your account. Well that's what they told me when I asked about the security features but I haven't opened an account with First Republic yet.