Moving to Belgium whilst owning property elsewhere

Hello,

Sorry I am new to this forum,

I am currently in the process of looking to move over to Belgium to be with my partner, I currently live in the United Kingdom where I own a house which is mortgaged between me and my Belgian partner. My partner currently lives in Belgium currently and my query is mostly relating to this.

As she currently lives in Belgium and I live in the UK, we're concerned relating to the property tax of the property. The property tax for the property in the UK is all paid, and is being paid through banks in the UK but i read online that property owned needs to be declared in Belgium, so im wondering if there are any fees my partner could have to pay in Belgium as she owns a property in the United Kingdom with me, but im living in the property so it is not being let out or anything. She is currently living with her family in their family home so she is not renting either.

If anyone could possibly shed any light on if there could be fees with disclosing this information, that would be great, or if any further information may be needed, please do ask.

Hi,

Welcome on our forum. Hope you will enjoy it.

As long as you can prove to the Belgian tax authorities that taxes are fully paid in England, there is no problem.

The purpose of this statement is for those who have a second home abroad. Which is not your case.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response, my partner has been stressing out due to this thinking she is going to suddenly have to pay a massive bill for the property even though she doesnt earn anything from it!

Just to follow up with you if you dont mind, is it still fine for her to tell the belgian authorities that she co-owns the house in the UK, or is it better for her to not say anything in this case as she stands to receive no benefits for it?

Many Thanks

Welcome, LostInLands :)

As you are not renting it out, then you are ok as you are not receiving an income from it.

It's always better to declare everything than to hide / forget something ...

Thanks for the replies guys, ill get her to go as soon as possible to a tax office and announce it and talk it through with them and get this all sorted! Cheers for all the help, its appreciated!