Bank account without residence permit

As someone stated it this a catch 22 subject.
When applying for a residence permit, the officer might and will most probably ask you to show your capability of self support. This shall be documented by sufficient fund deposited into a Turkish bank account. Obviously one would think of opening an account before hand, but then the banks are also asking for residence permit.

I have tried two banks so far (HSBC & KuweitTurkish) with no success. I plan to visit some more when the work resumes after the holidays.

Any advise and or hint would be highly appreciated

you dont need residence permit to open a bank account.
valid passport, turkish tax number and an address will be sufficient.
pls search internet, you will find several sites with deep explanations.

Thanks Bararro,

Yeah, I have researched this subject and it looks like it's up to the banks and there's no guarantee to get the account. So far I had no luck with 2 banks. I will keep trying. I have the tax number since 2012 but I never used it until now.
I am currently staying in an apartment for which I have a contract and address. It's not like being a tourist in a hotel room.

people is having accounts just for a single transaction and leave it, banks dont like those dead accounts, so they create difficulties.

Hi Borraro,

I fully understand when banks try to avoid this kind of 1 time use account. The problem is not everyone is not in this basket and genuine people like me are penalized by this.

We will see what happens this week as I will embark on the mission to visit as banks as possible.

Hi Defrenda...

I would like that you share us your results about open a account as im interested too...

i previously i asked the same to Is Turkiye bankasi,, as they told me by email that i must prove with a valid document my stay adress... and obviously  the Tax number.... nothing else..

Keep us posted about it....

thanks!

Just to amplify on my experience:

1. You need not have a 'Turkish' bank account statement to show proof of funds. Your bank statement from your country of origin can be accepted. Turkish statement is nice, but not mandatory. What you have to show in the investigation is your ability to sustain yourself here financially.

2. Turkish banks ideally like to see a Turkish Resident Permit with more than 6-months on it when you apply for your bank account. If you've been offered a 6-month permit or the remaining time is 6-months or less left, they will most likely NOT open an account for you. There is no hard and fast rule. These are all internal policies of the banks.

Depending on how much money you are bringing into the country, the rules vary from bank to bank and literally from branch to branch (each locale having their own way of looking at things). Aksaray (a relatively poor neighborhood) has a much more stringent requirement to open a bank account than the same bank's branch in Etiler.

Your mileage may vary.

Hi Violet,

First many thanks to Barraro.

I visited 2 banks for my first failure (KuweitTurkey bank near Osmanbey Metro and HSBC near City's Nisantasi mall) . At the first bank, the customer representative did not even want to entertain me. It was a straight rejection. At the second bank they asked about the residence permit which of course I didn't have.

I went to a third bank (HSBC ULUS) where obviously they were not understanding me in English. One of the bank customers oriented me to an English speaking branch 5 minutes away (HSBC Etiler branch). On arrival I requested to see the branch manager but I was shown a Premier Account manager. This person thought that I wanted to open a premier account. Given my previous frustrations I said yes.
I have long term plans here, so it was OK to have such an account with a minimum balance required at all times.

Of course I did not show any residence permit. On the other hand I had my  foreign bank statements, f electricity bill and other convincing docs to support my eligibility of a "Premier account".  And most importantly I had my tax number (Had it for many years)

I signed all account documents on the spot.
Half an hour later I started receiving SMS and email information from the bank. The following day I was fully informed that my account has been registered.

I believe this bank branch can listen to you if you can prove that you have an active life outside Turkey and you are not looking for a temporary account to settle the residence permit requirement.

The most important think I learned from this little adventure is having an English speaking bank representative who willing to listen. 
Your success then depends on the bank branch not really the bank brand. As it shows I was refused at 2 branches  and accepted at a third branch from HSBC.

Hi Faisal,

I believe your point summarizes my own experience.

I have been to a few banks but not accepted. Can you name me a few that i can try.  And is it easy to get a tax number? What do i need to bring along to qualify me for a tax number. Thank you.

Dear YYLee,

I believe everyone can get a tax number in Turkey.
I got my tax number in 2012 in Antalya, and I only use it now in August 2019 for the bank account in Istanbul.
If you are in Istanbul you can google the location of the tax office. You have to search for "Vergi Dairesi" on Maps.
There will be many in Istanbul. All you need is your passport, but bring along a copy as well. As far as I remember there was also no payment at all. It take a few minutes on the and the officer will handover your ready tax paper on the spot. As Istanbul can be a crowed place for all administrative matters, better visit early in the morning.

If you intend to live and or buy property in Turkey treat the tax number as a birth certificate ( I laminated my tax paper), because this is what the government will use to tract any money owed for tax based on your resident status and other activities generating revenue.

For the banks I think that you have to keep trying. I was turned down at one Turkey-Kuweit and 2 HSBC branches. At my third HSBC branch I asked to meet with a manager. I think that helped too since low ranking bank staff hardly speak English.
For HSBC bank I cannot say all branches will accept your application. What I learnt after visiting a few is that you have to prove some sort of banking history in your home place and your willingness to maintain the account beyond the processing of resident visa. If you can open a premium account that will definitely guarantee you success at least in some HSBC branches.

Wishing you all the best.

Hello Defrenda...

so to conclude, please could you say what are the banks which allows open an account for foreigners?
and branch in specific..??

thanks alot

Hi,

I am living in Lebanon and I would like to open an account in Turkey because banks in Lebanon could go to bankrupt.

My question is : why do I need to have a tax number in Turley if I am not living nor working in Turley ? Does this tax number means that  I must pay tax on th emoney entering in my bank account even if I am not resident in Turkey?

Thanks

Very helpful post! I have a similar question but with the twist.

I want to open bank account in Turkey but does not have local address, I can get Tax number once I arrive there next month. I am also HSBC Premier in USA.

Would local HSBC or any bank open the local account without local address? Any pointers would be appreciated.

You must to have tax number, its mainly related to any government process that you make, whenever you need to pay fees for any government process, they will ask for your tax number, you need tax number and passport to open bank account, as individual, I never faced that taxes deducted from my bank account, but of course there are laws that you must to understand, like might have blocking on coming USD transfers, or it should be for 52 days in your account before you can withdraw it, or you will pay early withdraw fees, but you can exchange it to lira without any fees, there are common laws apply to all banks then each bank have their own conditions, please take care, understand it carefully then proceed.

Did you get anywhere with your bank account issues...old post.
Try ICBC. Their website has English version (to a degree).There is no reason with your tax number and passport you can't get an account, however, likely just a savings or standard cash car account (not a full bank account with full card facilities.
Many are very difficult without a residence card and possibly it's down to their own banking system which staff can't get past.
Regards, goverment banks (Ziraat example).If you are looking for a savings account shop around for good interest rates. Government banks tend not have higher rates.
Probably like other countries tho that what banks offer varies a great deal.
Take care.

Thank you for coming back on this issue which many new residents to be might have faced.
I can say it's all down to individual banks and sometimes even bank staff.

At one of the recommended bank, Il will not name it, the bank agent did not even entertain me when I said I have no residence.

At the bank where I currently have an account (I am still not resident), I was turned down at two other branches of the same bank in different areas of Istanbul. Finally at a third branch located in Etiler, I was welcomed and I completed all paper processing the same time. I just waited 2 days for approval which came fine. Note this is a foreign bank operating in Turkey.

My advise to all is to have all the documentation ready, like your current bank statements from your country of residence wherever that might be, an electricity or telephone bill showing your address. And importantly your tax number. Note you can obtain a tax number at any tax office and yo don't have to be a resident. I got mine in Antaliya, years before the account.

My feeling was that some of the banks were afraid to open normal accounts which will just be used for residence permit then will remain dormant with little balance. No bank want this kind of customers