Nha Trang : sea of hotels and expensive restaurants ?

Just got back to Nha Trang after been away for 2 years (quite a long time). Must say I am quite shocked at how quickly this great town is losing its small town appeal. Hotel tower after hotel tower (no doubt funded by the Chinese) seems to be replacing great character cafes, shops and bars I once new and what made the town so great. Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason or regulation to the construction, just random building. They need to preserve the Vietnamese culture and the uniqueness of the city else it is just going to become a sea of hotels and expensive restaurants ? already I can see they are over constructing so expect a property crash sooner or later.

panda7 wrote:

Just got back to Nha Trang after been away for 2 years (quite a long time). Must say I am quite shocked at how quickly this great town is losing its small town appeal. Hotel tower after hotel tower (no doubt funded by the Chinese) seems to be replacing great character cafes, shops and bars I once new and what made the town so great. Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason or regulation to the construction, just random building. They need to preserve the Vietnamese culture and the uniqueness of the city else it is just going to become a sea of hotels and expensive restaurants ? already I can see they are over constructing so expect a property crash sooner or later.

Good luck getting those concerns sorted out with the money hungry officials.

Careful,, when Yogi sees this thread he'll throw a fit!  :D

This is a common phenomenon throughout the country and also in Cambodia, especially Sihanoukville. Things aren't too bad here in Vung Tau. From my balcony, I can only see five buildings going up along the road beside Back Beach. Of course, several have been recently completed and there are some more that I can't see toward Front Beach. 

I have seen concerns mentioned in the news, for example:
https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/201 … 50563.html

So, hopefully, some limits may be imposed but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Viet Nam is very much like that in general, it is all about a get-rich-quick scheme, and when it comes to pollution, environment annihilation, debts piling up etc. that doesn't matter. Vietnamese seem to believe that tourists and foreigners are gonna come more and more and more throughout the years without ever seeing a decline (while we're obviously at a peak in 2019). It is a mix between a ponzi scheme and an ecology train-wreck.

was going to move to Nha Trang a few months ago, then decided against it. From what I read it's a rat infested dump with some arrogant pps. I know..I know..everywhere there are good people, and bad people. ...But from what I heard it felt like nha trang locals wasn't too hospitable towards foreigners.

Saying that my bank manager in Vung Tau is from Nha trang and she is really nice. I figured if she has moved to Vung tau, then there must be something appealing about VT.

johnross23 wrote:

This is a common phenomenon throughout the country and also in Cambodia, especially Sihanoukville. Things aren't too bad here in Vung Tau. From my balcony, I can only see five buildings going up along the road beside Back Beach...

I'm glad the balcony in my new apartment has a full view of the lighthouse mountain (I don't know the Vietnamese name yet).

I don't expect that lush, verdant view to be altered much anytime soon.

Mike Wagner wrote:

Viet Nam is very much like that in general, it is all about a get-rich-quick scheme, and when it comes to pollution, environment annihilation, debts piling up etc. that doesn't matter. Vietnamese seem to believe that tourists and foreigners are gonna come more and more and more throughout the years without ever seeing a decline (while we're obviously at a peak in 2019). It is a mix between a ponzi scheme and an ecology train-wreck.

Seen it in Thailand, now tourism is way down there , ( currency issues also) , but Vietnam is embracing tourism and is what I beleive to be the new kid on the block in SEA.  See what happens here with development. Many areas are untouched so to speak. Seeing it big time in some areas no doubt.