Divorcing in Portugal

Hello everyone,

Reaching the decision to seek divorce can be hard. Filing the papers as an expat in Portugal can be as taxing since a good grasp of legislations is needed and the process can prove to be tedious.

Where and how do you apply for a divorce in Portugal? How long does it take for the process to be completed?

If the couple has children, which measures can be taken in order to protect their interests?

Which procedures should be completed so that the divorce is legally recognized in the country of origin?

How is divorce viewed in Portugal?

Being away from one's home country and loved ones, what advice do have for staying strong emotionally and mentally in this situation?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Diksha

Hello Diksha,

I think like in any other countries, divorce is a complex process specially when it includes children.
In case of Portuguese citizens if both parts agree on the terms of the divorce (including where the children will live, study, etc) the only thing necessary is to go to a "conservatória do registo civil" and request it. I believe it's quite fast.
In that moment also the local services will request the initiation of a different process that will regulate the terms in which the children will be taken care (Where they will live, the sharing of educational costs, etc).
If there's no consentual agreement on the terms of the divorce, then you'll need a lawyer because the process will get to court and takes longer, much longer time. Also it becomes quite expensive for both parts.

Since you're not Portuguese, I suggest you go to the "conservatória do registo civil" and request information on the divorce for expats. I think they'll be able to help.

PS - There's no social or cultural disapproval on the divorce. It's common and well accepted.

Margarida Barbosa