Divorcing in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

Reaching the decision to seek divorce can be hard. Filing the papers as an expat in Cambodia can be as taxing since a good grasp of legislations is needed and the process can prove to be tedious.

Where and how do you apply for a divorce in Cambodia? How long does it take for the process to be completed?

If the couple has children, which measures can be taken in order to protect their interests?

Which procedures should be completed so that the divorce is legally recognized in the country of origin?

How is divorce viewed in Cambodia?

Being away from one's home country and loved ones, what advice do have for staying strong emotionally and mentally in this situation?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Diksha

Hello Diksha.

I don't have personal experience with divorce in Cambodia, but I found some info on the net, I copied it:

Divorce can be initiated by either the husband or wife on various grounds. Generally, common property is divided and whatever property each brought into the marriage is divided. Divorce is legal, relatively easy to obtain, but not common. Divorced persons are viewed with some disapproval, and they are not invited to take part in the blessing of a newlywed couple.

Some of the grounds for divorce are incompatibility, prolonged absence without good reason, abandonment by either partner, refusal of the husband to provide for the family, adultery, immoral conduct, and refusal, for more than a year, to permit sexual intercourse. A magistrate may legalize the divorce. Each spouse retains whatever property he or she brought into the marriage. Property acquired jointly is divided equally. Divorced persons may remarry, but the woman must wait ten months. Custody of minor children is usually given to the mother. Both parents continue to have an obligation to contribute financially toward the rearing and education of the child. [Source: Library of Congress, December 1987]

A few notes from my side:

1. A woman can only get divorced if she gets permission of her husband! This results in husbands mostly refusing the divorce as they would have to start to find another wife.

2. The care for children by both partners is totally abused. About no man offers money for the education of his children. It's more the system of "Bye bye, you can keep the kids". The men can get another wife, children and the same can happen again.
This is the reason why you see many young women with kids, they married (too) young, got kids and after a few years the husband leaves and lets the woman take care of the kids, with dramatic consequences in most cases.

Regards.

Joe

In joes remarks , number 2 . I have found is generally the case , it's pretty much see you later here's the kid , not all Khmer men do this , but a bigger percentage never look back , while other Khmer men are honorable and care for and love them, but for the most part it's number2. As usual jo knows and did his research.

Most single mothers end up in prostitution. Often the only way to survive after being left by the husband.

Yes victor thus as I have always pointed out a lot of these so called bar girls are nice honest, hard working good people, and I have seen for myself they make a westerner, a honest one, a great companion and a great wife, most of these girls are not doing this for drugs etc, they are doing this  to feed their children and help out there ailing parents, these are some of the nicest most honest women to be found, they just got screwed over and have no where else to go, I for one respect these women , and don't call them whores , are even prostitution, it's a job the only one they can get, I have 5 children, I'm from USA and I would rob a bank to feed them if it were my only choice, so I'm not talking to you victor as I can see you already got it, but for the rest of you expats don't hate on these girls, 90% are decent human s doing whatever it takes to feed there children, just like we all would if we were in that position

Hi Twinsguy
I fully agree with you, even I would not want to pick my life mate from a bar. But as a divorced woman there is not much choice left. 1. A Khmer man will never marry a woman who has children from an other man. 2. A normal job does not pay enough to bring up kids. 3. Her parents have no pension, and she even has to support them. 4. Education for your children is expensive in Cambodia.

I have friends who married so called bar girls with children three of them are happy as hell, and I may get hell for saying this , but do not expect your western wife to treat you as well as a Khmer women treats her husband , not even close, oh I know there are some , but a Khmer woman will truly take care of you , as you to take care of them , a much better situation, say what you like , but this is a fact of life in Asia , ok now I'm in for a beat down ha ha , but we all know it's true this is my 6th year here, I know,  ha ha , now I'm going to get a lot of flack for this true statement. But a huge difference how a normal western wife treats her husband compared to a Asian wife huge difference

Just so people know most bar girls are there to keep western men drinking 75cent beers while buying the bar girl 3$ “ girl drinks” they get a 1$ of the girl drinks , at least 75 % will not go home with you they just want that 1$ drink , average wage in cambodia is  1200$ a year , yes a year do the math if they can make 4-5$ a night on girl drinks and 2$ a day for 12 hour 6 days a week shift ,  that adds up to 35-50$ a week , that's above national average and no these girls are not buying expensive purses clothes etc, they are sending this money home , so if you think they are whores your wrong , most are not , my impression is 75-80% are not prostitution, but after that girl drink, if you want a girl to take home usually there is one or two that will , but the majority will not leave the bar with you, they will keep you there drinking and buying girl drinks at the end of the night if your up for taking one home, they will introduce you to the few that will , really  it's not what it looks like , you have to be here a while to figure it out , but that's the girl bar scene, mostly not prostitution

'refuse sex for more than a year'  I'd be picking a trend after 2 months...

I married a local girl. We are going on 14 happy years, together

Viitamine27 , ha that's the truth ,