Looking at moving to Vietnam

hi

i would like to move to Vietnam as i have been there for holiday and have loved it! Problem is sorting out the logistics of moving.

i have 3 cats, so they would have to come with me. i would need a flat to stay whereby the unit is on ground floor. i could not stay hihg up in the flats. does this even exist in Vietnam? how do i find a place like this to stay?

i would need to get a job there. i am a group executive chef in south africa, but these positions do not exist in vietnam. so i would have to find a good paying job and would like the job to be corporate monday - friday so that i can still travel and explore on my weekends. again, does this even exist in Vietnam? as this is what i am currently doing. i work from 6am - 3pm, Monday - Friday. Who do i get ito contact about this?

i really am not sure how to plan all of this, does anyone please have assistance for me so i know where to start. i was thinking of maybe moving down beginning of next year.

You've already answered your own question - what you are proposing isn't logistically viable. And - excuse me for being blunt - for a 'group executive chief' you are disturbingly unaware of the simplest of realities.

You need to be on the ground, as in actually living there/here, to be able to chase down a small house; an apartment or condo isn't an option with three cats. This is an ongoing activity which you need to be actively engaged in, with a daily ritual of scanning FB groups, looking through online rental sites, calling estate agents and travelling around looking at potential properties until you find what you want. And you simply can't come here on spec, to a temporary studio apartment while you look, with three cats.

But you need to be able to work - and by the sound of it would like to have already secured a position prior to going to Vietnam. On the other hand you are realistic enough to realise that the kind of executive post you currently hold is rare and that it's not tenable to expect to find something similar. But you have no idea what work is available, in which of the industries, or 'who to contact' about it. You don't even know what part of Vietnam you are heading for. Have you even checked out Vietnam's immigration policy and what type of visas are open to you and what they cost?

Have you taken into account that half of the country gets what amounts to a 6-month rainy season with a full monsoon in the middle of it?

Or that Vietnam is a nation of dogs which vastly outnumber cats?

That you will need private insurance or a medical plan? Or that pharmacies here will offer brand-names you're not familiar with?

How are you going to access the money you have in a South African bank - particularly when you need a large lump sum, such as paying nine month's rent up front or paying for a motorbike? Are you aware that ATMs in Vietnam mostly have a 2 million dong ($85 US) withdrawal limit?

Or that, without a work permit or an employer, as a South African you will have to stay here on a 3-month tourist visa and keep leaving the country and re-entering with a new visa?

There are only two possibilities - one is that you apply internationally for a management position with a company advertising a post in Vietnam. And the other is to come and live here for 3 or 6 months (to include the rainy season) so that you can discover more than you would on a brief holiday, and find out the answers to your very nebulous questions for yourself.

(Before I finally came to live in Vietnam I spent 18 months non-stop - every spare hour - researching the whole thing - finding out what the climate was like in different parts of the country; checking out the cost of electricity and discovering that there are different pricing strategies for private housing and apartment blocks, and what these costs were; joining all the local Facebook community sites in each of the major cities and scanning the posts every day; joining the property agents' FB groups or websites to check on what was available and the prices; researching the way in which taxis worked in the different cities and checking out comparative costs to get across town in the daytime and at night; studying the cities of my choice via Google Maps to see the layout and what major supermarkets/hypermarkets there were, and what international restaurants and what imported food; walking around the streets of my cities using Street View to see what things looked like at ground level. I would recommend doing this yourself, and asking questions (such as this one) as your knowledge grows!)

And I really can't think of a way that three cats and a 5-day working week with short hours fits in to any of it, although I wish you the very best of luck!

Thank you for your response. This is why I joined this group to speak to people like you to give me more of an in site and what sort of things I'm up against and what sort of research I'd have to do etc..

I was thinking of going for 6 months first without my cats and from there make the next move with my cats.

I do have a close friend moving there next month which we can get a place together as it's been in discussion, and if he can also find out a lot for me before I come over, that would be great.

I am aware of the visas and I was aware I'd probably not find the same job as what I have here. But I am ready and open for any sort of change. But with my qualification, I can get a few jobs I'm vietnam u Dee international groups. I get the updates everyday, I have just not applied for anything yet.

I hear very mixed reviews about cats. You say it's a no go, others say it was easy for them to come over and now the cats live happy. So I really do not know what to think here.

I have seen ground floor places to live. So I'd have to do more research regarding that. But I wouldn't of thought 3 cats would be allowed in an apartment as it's not allowed here. So maybe I will look into renting a small house or something.

I have not decided on area as I do not know which area is best yet. Again that is why I'm speaking to people like you. I'm open for anything, as long as I have a job and get to explore the beauties of Vietnam.

I'll just address the cat situation. I've got two (got them in VN), Vietnamese aren't fond of cats at all (animal cruelty is everywhere here), so finding someone (or some kinda of BS vet that'll lock your cats in a cage the whole time) to take care of them if you're away a bus to travel with them or or even a flat or a house that accepts cats can be tricky.

Thank you for this. So you highly suggest them not coming down? Have your cats been in any situation? Have you found it hard having them there with you? Is it doable to definitely not?

It is possible. Be very sure that all vaccination necessary is done and documented and contact airlines before as not all of them may accept your cats.
Once in VN be careful of local vets as they have very little idea of what they're doing (and don't always care). I'd recommend Dr. Nghia at the Saigon Pet Clinic as he studied in the UK, knows what he's doing and cares about animals in general.
Having someone you can trust to take care of your cats in case you need to go away is important as well and not that easy to find.
Other than that it should be fine. I've never flown with cats though, hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle for you and them.

Thank you. This helps tremendously! I think I will travel without them for about 3 months and then fly hem over once I am settled. Thank you for the vet recommendation as that is a massive deal!

I have gotten info regarding flying them over and vaccinations done. It doesn't seem like too much of a hassle. I just need to get them each a pet passport.

If I get stuck with anything I will ask for your assistance if you have advice.

Thanks again.

B.DeMatos wrote:

I was thinking of going for 6 months first without my cats and from there make the next move with my cats.

This would be your best decision/choice. You will probably find out fairly quickly if it is doable for you. Best of luck.