Student visas

Can I teach English in Vietnam if I am on a student visa? What are the pros and cons?

Volunteer.   It opens doors.

.. and there are a few NGO's who will offer free accomm. + meals + transport...

..worked for me...           ;)

I see.
If I volunteer can I still get something($) to turn myself around?.  Do you know of any serious NGO's I can link up. I will be coming to FPT university(Da Nang) campus next month-August

Volunteering means working for free; any monetary compensation would make it a paid employment.

Your student visa doesn't allow you to have paid employment.

Please is it for a fact; that international students on student visas are not allowed to work in Vietnam?

"Please is it for a fact; that international students on student visas are not allowed to work in Vietnam?"

I think immigration + international law covers that adequately     :|

Corinth wrote:

Please is it for a fact; that international students on student visas are not allowed to work in Vietnam?

This is the fact:  Circular 03/2014/TT-BGDĐT indicates that a foreign student who wants to work in Vietnam must follow the same regulations as any foreign worker working in Vietnam. 

This is my interpretation:  A foreign worker needs to have a work permit in order to work in VIetnam.  A work permit can only be requested by the employer, not the potential worker.  Upon receiving it, the potential worker would apply for a business visa to go with the work permit.  As you have a student visa, you cannot willy nilly apply for a job then go to work without a work permit.

However, if your educational program allows you to work as an intern, then the issue is moot.

It seems to me you're not happy with the way this thread is going because you've started a duplicate thread on the Da Nang forum.  I'm not going to tell you to trust my info implicitly, only that it's the best I can find in the original language in which the law was written.  You're welcome to search other sources for 2nd, 3rd, or 10th opinion, but please do not post anymore duplicate thread in the future.

Thanks there. This is one of the best responses i've had so far. And in relation to double posting. Please check, the wording were not the same. It would have helped to have stated categorically a 'Yes or 'No in your first response as you've explained in this one.
Really grateful for this.

So, is a student visa a way to get a long-term stay in VN without frequent exits? And is studying VN language a way to get the student visa? And how long can a student visa be valid for? One year or more?

Is it a possible solution for retirees?

Can't find much info on this.  Here is one link I found:
https://immivietnamvisa.com/vietnam-student-visa/

hyagly256 wrote:

So, is a student visa a way to get a long-term stay in VN without frequent exits? And is studying VN language a way to get the student visa? And how long can a student visa be valid for? One year or more?

Is it a possible solution for retirees?

One thing I would be pretty certain about is if the government gave retirees visas that were good until they successfully learned to speak Vietnamese, the visas would have to be good until their Vietnamese friends send their ashes back to their respective home countries.   :cheers:

But surely SOME foreigners have learned to speak VNese fluently. I have met a few.

A visa good until death would be great! Let's lobby for that...