Buy a business visa, embassy puts in tourist visa

Just came back from a stay in the US.  Bought a business letter and sent it and the required funds to the VN embassy in DC.   I came through Tan Son Nhat, A day or two later, I checked the date on the airport stamp.  Only 90 days  I contacted the woman I hired to get the business letter.  She says DC made a mistake...first time ever she say.  But for another 270usd she can fix it...and oh be blessed, she's losing 70usd on the deal.  Anybody have any suggestions on how to get this sorted out?  I really don't want to do border runs, but I also don't want to through good money after bad.

def1412 wrote:

Just came back from a stay in the US.  Bought a business letter and sent it and the required funds to the VN embassy in DC.   I came through Tan Son Nhat, A day or two later, I checked the date on the airport stamp.  Only 90 days  I contacted the woman I hired to get the business letter.  She says DC made a mistake...first time ever she say.  But for another 270usd she can fix it...and oh be blessed, she's losing 70usd on the deal.  Anybody have any suggestions on how to get this sorted out?  I really don't want to do border runs, but I also don't want to through good money after bad.

Your business letter is sponsored or you own the business?

It was sponsored.

def1412 wrote:

It was sponsored.

Get the sponsor to sort it out.

Yes trying that that's where she came up with $270 for a new letter and for her to take it and get it processed at the airport.

def1412 wrote:

Yes trying that that's where she came up with $270 for a new letter and for her to take it and get it processed at the airport.

If you have her admiting the mistake, it should be rectified at their cost.

Bought a business letter and sent it and the required funds to the VN embassy in DC.

This part is not clear. Normally, the letter and stamping fee are presented upon arrival to a special area of the immigration department at the airport or at the border if arriving overland. At the point, the visa is placed in the passport, after which you get in line for the stamp.

Bought a business letter and sent it and the required funds to the VN embassy in DC.
This part is not clear. Normally, the letter and stamping fee are presented upon arrival to a special area of the immigration department at the airport or at the border if arriving overland. At the point, the visa is placed in the passport, after which you get in line for the stamp.[/quote

I guess you missed it.  The visa and the letter were presented to the VNese embassy in Washington, DC and the incorrect visa was placed in the passport.  The fees were paid directly to the Embassy in DC.  The stamp was received going through the line at immigration at the airport.  It cuts out the long wait at the visa window at TSN.  Also, you can always get a visa at the VNese embassy in your home country if that is where y ou are.

arguing that point with her, but I think she sees this as an opportunity to make more money.

def1412 wrote:

arguing that point with her, but I think she sees this as an opportunity to make more money.

So the visa you were given wasnt a DN, but the 1-year tourist visa for Americans.

Yes, you are correct.  It is a DL.  This Ms Khanh will do nothing.  She maintains that once I came in, the visa can't be changed unless I get a new letter and go through the process again...for 100usd she will get the visa placed in my passport at TSN airport.  I contacted the Washington Vietnamese embassy and presented them with the problem and a copy of the invitation letter and the visa and entry stamp.

def1412 wrote:

Yes, you are correct.  It is a DL.  This Ms Khanh will do nothing.  She maintains that once I came in, the visa can't be changed unless I get a new letter and go through the process again...for 100usd she will get the visa placed in my passport at TSN airport.  I contacted the Washington Vietnamese embassy and presented them with the problem and a copy of the invitation letter and the visa and entry stamp.

Do you have any copies of correspondence stating that you wanted a DN visa. Also the price of the DL visa is cheaper, what has she charged you for the letter. It should be stated in the letter what visa you are applying for.

This unfortunately is how agents work, they take no responsibility.

She says it was stated in the letter. I paid 190 Us in America for the Visa

def1412 wrote:

She says it was stated in the letter. I paid 190 Us in America for the Visa

Well thats the cost of a DN visa, not the one you received.

Yes I know!

def1412 wrote:

Yes I know!

Its obvious the agent is an arsehole..

a spiin off this topic....looking to take a three month job in the north.  Teaching public school in Vinh Yen.  They will supply letter for three month work visa.  l have a 12 month tourist visa.  Is the tourist visa still good when the work visa expires or does one cancel out the other?
Does that make sense...?

def1412 wrote:

a spiin off this topic....looking to take a three month job in the north.  Teaching public school in Vinh Yen.  They will supply letter for three month work visa.  l have a 12 month tourist visa.  Is the tourist visa still good when the work visa expires or does one cancel out the other?
Does that make sense...?

A work permit is not a visa, it's exactly what is says, a permit to work. Cant imagine a school going through all that hassle for a 3-month permit.

public school in the north in vinh phuc province, Vinh Yen city...three months is the school term....and it's a work visa...did I say permit?  Sorry.  But still does the tourist visa still good after the work visa?  and happen to know the cost of the work visa?

def1412 wrote:

public school in the north in vinh phuc province, Vinh Yen city...three months is the school term....and it's a work visa...did I say permit?  Sorry.  But still does the tourist visa still good after the work visa?  and happen to know the cost of the work visa?

I presume then that you are referring to the DN,DT or LV business visa. You cant have two visas running at the same time.

def1412 wrote:

I'm curious where you got the advice to take this route for obtaining a business visa?

From reading all your comments, it appears the motivation was to save time at the arrival airport by already having your Visa in your passport?

I would personally not advise anyone to go this route.

You separate the agent from the Visa approval process, and end up basically trying to push your own "purchased" paperwork through the system.

I also wouldn't pay for someone in The States to do any of my Visa paperwork in Vietnam.

I advise anyone outside  Vietnam who is reading this thread to either:

1. Get your own sponsor free of charge in support of your business activities, and apply through the VN Embassy or Consulate in the USA, or...

2. Use a trustworthy VOA agent online, and have them A. Arrange for your sponsor, and B. Process your paperwork through Immigration and provide you with a VOA approval letter.

Also, it's been said multiple times in this forum:

Check the date stamp put in your passport at the airport WHEN YOUR PASSPORT IS STAMPED, not a few days later.

def1412 wrote:

You are fortunate that your Category DN Business Visa didn't go through.

Working for ANYONE other than your business Visa sponsor is illegal.

Perhaps the school wants to provide a 3 month business visa. They would still need to get THEIR work permit to legally hire you (as someone else already mentioned). 

At the end of that three months you would need a new Visa, as Colin said.

I was looking at your posts a year ago when you were surprised by the requirement to do 90 day border runs, and you were looking for some kind of quick fix or workaround.

I hope you get a handle on the actual Visa requirements here.

Trying to reinvent the wheel isn't working out too well for you, and it could get you in trouble by unwittingly violating the law, in addition to spending unnecessary money.

I really do wish you well with your Visa situation.

As it turns out, I am hired by EMG here in Sai Gon and they will be processing the appropriate paperwork....my  issues were solved.  My hope with the business visa to simply not have to make border runs....that's pretty much it.  Now I'll have a working visa for as long as I am with the company.  I've learned that once the work visa take effect, the tourist visa is null.  So for now, I don't need to worry about anything except teaching British English to Vietnamese kids....being an American I'm in a foreign country teaching foreign children a foreign language....oh the irony...!!!!!!

def1412 wrote:

As it turns out, I am hired by EMG here in Sai Gon and they will be processing the appropriate paperwork....my  issues were solved.  My hope with the business visa to simply not have to make border runs....that's pretty much it.  Now I'll have a working visa for as long as I am with the company.  I've learned that once the work visa take effect, the tourist visa is null.  So for now, I don't need to worry about anything except teaching British English to Vietnamese kids....being an American I'm in a foreign country teaching foreign children a foreign language....oh the irony...!!!!!!

Great!

If you don't mind, let us know when there is both a work permit and a new Visa completed.

I would be especially curious as to the category of the new Visa, and the length of validity.

Also, let us know if there is a requirement for border runs.

Cheers!

Sure