New to Saudi Arabia

Hi There

I am a south african from cape town that will be relocating in September to Khobar with my 2 kids. I am a fuel trader by profession and my last role was heading the Marine commercial portfolio for vivo energy.
I am looking to integrate into expat life there and hoping to meet families and other expats living in Khobar. My kids are aged 13 and 9 and currently attend Herschel Girls school and SACS prep.  Would love for them to make new friends as we leaving all this behind in cape town. Any and all guidance on places, schools , compound living will be appreciated.
reaching out
thanks
nazihah

Check https://www.rightcompound.com for good accommodation.

You will find couple of good schools here in Khobar area, it also has New world international school or you can search for embassy school of your country (not sure about RSA embassy school).

thanks asid very much. will definitely take a look at that school.

Hi Nazihah

Did you get more info on your questions?

In regard to accommodation... will you be getting a housing allowance, or will you the company be providing housing?
With Schooling it will be best to find schools once here, the few we enquired with needed our daughter here...
Ive been here for 9 months now, and my family just joined me last week...

Hi Dawief

thanks for asking, nope did not get much more info on my questions. we joining my hubby who is in saudi. hopefully we will get on ok... I hear you on schooling, will have to take a look when we there.
any and all info will be appreciated . how is your family settling and your kids in terms of friends and general life.
Regards
Naz

Hi... it is a bit early to say, they've been here just over a week, and it is not a good to arrive here... Steaming hot summer and over Eid holidays... but I am sure they will adapt just fine. Schools are only starting in September, so most people are gone for holidays... surely when schools return there will be more life here...
How long have your husband been here? Is he currently in a compound? In Khobar?

dawie good to hear other south africans around, he is in a remote site located in Hawiyyah , gas plant. not ideal for family living, we will be based in khobar on a compound. we get there in 3 weeks to the date and we also hoping for some cooler weather in months to come. leaving CT is tougher than we thought however hearing everyone making the most of it and life been good there we hopeful like yourselves all will go well. we also trying to figure out where the rugby, cricket get togethers happen....and off course a good sa braai. ek se ma net...

Hi... ja, the toughest part is to leave South Africa... just remember why you are leaving, and focus on settling ASAP... you are obviously not going to work, right? Choose your compound carefully... most compounds are very nice, but be aware of who the other tenants are...  you might feel restricted based in this... i will share my wife's contact details if you would like to chat, she needs a friend here...

It is easy to watch sports... there is alot of streaming services at a quarter of the price of DSTV... and data is cheap here...

Dawie thanks for all the advice and well noted. I would have assumed the compounds are relatively free but got you. Please do connect us, that would be wonderful esp with us both been new to Saudi.
Dankie
Naz

Great pleasure... yeah, most compounds are fine.. just have to pay attention to the community in the compound... are you going to find a compound once you arrive? Where will you stay in the time you are looking for a compound? Keep in mind most compounds take between 6 to 12 months rent in advance...
Good luck with your travel....let is know once arrived...

Nazihaht wrote:

Hi There

I am a south african from cape town that will be relocating in September to Khobar with my 2 kids. I am a fuel trader by profession and my last role was heading the Marine commercial portfolio for vivo energy.
I am looking to integrate into expat life there and hoping to meet families and other expats living in Khobar. My kids are aged 13 and 9 and currently attend Herschel Girls school and SACS prep.  Would love for them to make new friends as we leaving all this behind in cape town. Any and all guidance on places, schools , compound living will be appreciated.
reaching out
thanks
nazihah

Hi Nazihah, my name is Mohammed and I'm a Saudi citizen. I would like to help you finding a compound and living great life here, since your husband is already here he can go to the following address and look for compound

Dropped pin
Near Unnamed Road, Ar Rakah Al Janubiyah, Al Khobar 34227
https://goo.gl/maps/9xyJyAssvJfYWzzc7

This area has so many compound complexes, international schools, and expatriates as well. I hope I helped you with the situation :)
I'll be glad to help you with anything else and welcome to Saudi Arabia.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct