Looking for investor partners to open cafe or pub in Saigon

Hi guys,

I’m Vietnamese and I have lived in Japan for years, now I’m working in Singapore. I and my Canadian friend are planning to open a cafe or pub in central Saigon ( District 1-3 ) next year with modern and futuristic design ( I studied  interior design in Japan) , it therefore may cost a lot of initial capital such as deposit and marketing. We now have around 42k USD , it’s a big capital to star up a Cafe in Vietnam, but if you’re planning to do it in Saigon central, it’s just nothing.
So we’re looking for some partners want to open a pub or coffee in Saigon, but know nothing about the local culture , location and most important thing is you need to register under a Vietnamese local person, and you couldn’t find or trust anyone, if you’re interested in the project please contact me for details and review the design, location.

First of, you need to decide whether you want to open a coffee shop or a pub.  One is very different from the other.  You are correct that you need a local that you can trust to register the business name and to do the paperwork.  Of course, you could register under your name but the tax will be outrageous.  If you want to open a business in D1 or D3, $42,000 is not that much. 
I think you need to have a clear and exact plan.  It would help to draw up a business plan.  I would be interested in investing if your concept is something unique, preferably something from Japan that HCMC doesn't have already.  Also, the less partner the better.  PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Yong

How to make a. Million on a bar in Asia, start with 2 million!
Here we go again!

I am interested in starting up a business in HCM City or Ben Tre.... If anyone interested.  Thanks.

Rahj_Devon
It's difficult to be interested in your venture if we don't know what business you are trying to start.  Please clarify.

Canman63 :

How to make a. Million on a bar in Asia, start with 2 million!
Here we go again!

That's very probably the winning post of the thread.

yong.j.mun
That's a good questions... I don't even know myself... Just brain storming to see if anyone have an ideal but need the fund.  I am new to the country so just trying to explore...

Hi there,
I am looking for an investor partner for Singapore Chicken business. I have all recipe and i need a local as partner to advise on registration, daily operation and recruitment of worker for the business.

Regards
Jason

Hi Jason,

I don't know how long you have been in Vietnam nor do I know your business acumen for doing business in Saigon/VN.   So I apologize if I'm speaking out the side of my face as that is not my intention.

You must understand something first.   If you are in VN on a tourist visa you are on the verge of committing a crime and can been arrested, fined [ you money taken] and then deported from Vietnam.  If you think that I am exaggerating .....then I am absolutely SURE you don't have a clue what you're getting into in VN.

Until you get legal residency OR acquire a business visa then you cannot pursue any business activity in VN and if you do then you are setting yourself up to be extorted by the police.

So your first step is getting residency or at least a business visa.  After you do that then you will need the services of a biz consultant and/or an honest lawyer savvy on these subjects.  You cannot get this done on your own.  So your second step should be to find and interview a biz consultant with references and/or a lawyer who has experience in business contracts and partnerships.  Get all the estimates of costs that you can.

NOW you will be ready to move forward to do this :  "Looking for investor partners to open cafe or pub in Saigon"

OK?  Good Luck .....   now I pause....you're not asking for my opinion but if you were I would strongly suggest that you reconsider your venture.   If you are not married to a VN or at minimum speak VN then you will have little chance of succeeding.  NOT because you don't have the recipes or brains or work ethic...no simply because if you do succeed you will attract the attention of the locals and then your problems will begin and will not alleviate until the VN authoriities and the locals have stripped you of your hard won successful business.   That's my honest opinion and I know a lot more than you do obviously  but I do wish you good luck in life and hopefully you will prosper there or somewhere else.  Have you considered the Philippines?

Everyone thinks its easy to open a F n B business in Vietnam. But seriously the entry barrier is not high! So, unless you got some fantastic recipe that the locals cannot copy you are asking for trouble or to feed some locals with big envelopes. Those in VN long enough will know what I mean. All the best. This is Vietnam, not anywhere else.

The nice thing about starting a pub/restaurant in Saigon is that rent/labor/renovation costs are much lower than Singapore, Taipei, or Shanghai.

Not so nice: bad workers who are not used to standard customer service. You teach them and remind them a 100 times and they repeat the same mistake. Absenteeism is a big problem. The mother/father/sister/brother/gf/bf is always sick or has an emergency on a busy weekend or holiday.

Let's not forget the great local police...

zccliu :

The nice thing about starting a pub/restaurant in Saigon is that rent/labor/renovation costs are much lower than Singapore, Taipei, or Shanghai.

Not so nice: bad workers who are not used to standard customer service. You teach them and remind them a 100 times and they repeat the same mistake. Absenteeism is a big problem. The mother/father/sister/brother/gf/bf is always sick or has an emergency on a busy weekend or holiday.

Let's not forget the great local police...

This is so true.... They have a very long way of learning how to provide a great services or understanding how important the customer service is.   There are great people out there with  excellent work ethic but in a very small number and those number are very hard to find.