Coming to Kuwait in September with my wife. Scared + excited!

It will probably be easier for me as I will be working.
My wife is very nervous about finding 'things to do' with the right people.
Any help greatly appreciated
On a practical point -
What is the Skype position in Kuwait?
What is the best/cheapest way of telecoms with family in the UK?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com 1finny!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

skype is open to use, but the website is banned in kuwait.

u can still download the client via mirrors, and pay thru money-bookers

so skype works, and the cops wont arrest u for using it.

u can also try nymgo, basically all VoIP services are available, the most they can do here is block the website, not the service.

just download skype before you get here. And you can use it all you want while you are here

Do not worry man,life here is quiet and safe and boring :).

Once you'r here, I'd also recommend messaging device like BB or Whatsapp on iPhone to keep in touch with family and loved ones. You might/don't always need to speak to each other, but it's a quick and low-cost way to keep in touch.

Bhaas
thanks so much for that.
it looks like Skype is good (already downloaded) and BB contact will be great for two adult boys at home.:)

Glad to be of help! Keep us updated on your move and Good luck!

To be true,legally all voip calls are banned in Kuwait,but u can use most of them.

All voip calls service works here.But skype website is banned.U can use,action voip,nymgo,or can call through gtalk service talk and yahoo messsenger by paying(but costlier than the other two.So dont worry abt that........

Thanks for that.
looks like I'll be out in September!

Well Kuwait is not a bad country lol so dont be afraid i'm kuwaiti and i know what i'm talking about
you can use skype is works just fine ,but the website is banned which is really silly XD

And since you are british, people in here are really nice to british/american people dont ask why lol i have no idea myself.
any questions , you can ask me :P i know my country the best

i wonder why only to the westerners are they so nice.

because we are not used to see them alot :P , indians and paki's ,we are used to have them here lol. I think thats mostly the reason haha !

:)

Hi 1finny

Hope all goes well for you in Kuwait mate,

I think you do not have too much to worry about your family being bored or not finding things to do...since your a British national and depending which area you live in Kuwait you will find other British nationals who have been in Kuwait for over 10 years...also you will find other nationalities in Kuwait which you may find commons with and start out friendships.

You will also find that your paper work including your family will be processed without much involvement from your side (employer should have a admin officer “mandoob”  to do all that for you)...

Kuwait has many things that you can do, example all types of water sports, rugby, soccer (indoor and out), great cinema experience...also depending on your budget Kuwait has many public holidays during the year which you could make good use and travel to great destinations for a quick getaway...

For telecom it is more expensive here when compared to Saudi and UAE...however as mentioned before G-talk, Yahoo, and skype is available here, also there is the old school calling cards in Kuwait which gives good rates to talk over the phone directly...

Sykpe = Banned

go to download.com ? <3

get internet = use skype use MSN use anything

and if u want to have a mobile phone-device " like an ipod " u can either get a data plan and put skype or msn or any other IM like fring or so and use it

or u just use ur credit or bill to talk to the family in UK

u can google : Zain Kuwait , Watanyia , Viva Kuwait.

as for internet the above zain watanyia viva << u can get internet from them, but they have a download limit

or u can go for Mada = Limitless internet but kinda bad sometimes
or u can go for DSL which is the cheapest for a year i think 90 kd a year for 1MB or 2MB speed no limit on downloading tho

if u want to order stuff from online u got services like DHL-Aramex and what not

i use aramex

Food ?

food is the number 1 thing in Kuwait every where u move there is a restaurant, there is cheap and there is expansive

and there is one fa mouse street here in Kuwait we call it Restaurant street u just drive on right and left restaurants !! they have nice meals also unlike burger kind and what not

as for Taxi's dont ride random taxi's they will try to scam when u come to kuwait i'll give u a good taxi number cheap and fast

you wanna join a gym ? there is cheap gyms that is only for u to go and work out no jacuzi and other self pleasing stuff those are the cheap ones that goes for like 20KD for 2 month sometimes u can find cheaper ? " am in that gym "

there is expansive gyms such as platinum where u buy 35KD a month u get the gym , cardio place , aerobics , pool, jacuzi, sauna steam room , there is a massage but u pay for it, they also teach karate and judo and kick boxing stuff but also u gotta pay for it
and ofcuse there is  a room where u can relax in, and there is squash thing  and billiards  1 table only and babyfoot " not sure if that's how you say it

and if ur wanting to join a mixed gym there is ones like hotel gym such as Holiday in Crown plaza and what not for u and ur wife

as for barbecues u can BBQ in park and at beaches and at marina beach " but i think it's illegal but no cares "

as for shopping some things in Kuwait is over expansive if u want to Assemble  a PC here in Kuwait gimme a PM i'll help you out get the stuff for cheap " i wont get any benefit i just like to help out "

as for places to shop electronics and stuff there is known places like " Eureka " and " X-cite " << most known

if u want to buy stuff like a chair a table there is place's in al-ray area where every where u move they sell stuff like those

or u can go to a known dealer like : IKEA

there is bowling in BHS salmyia and city center salmyia
there is ice skating
Cinema's are all over Kuwait

there is an entertainment city for roller costar and what not such as

Shaab Park in Midan Hawally

and Entertaiment city in a far area forgot the name 

there is also paint ball, near Kuwait towers i think
and there is also paint ball but more realistic u use stuff that looks real feels real and wear stuff like swat members and what not

Cafe's are all around Kuwait mainly Shisha cafes but there is normal cafe's such as my favorite Hangout Cafe in Salmyia well was my favorite :P

and ya if u got to a public beach dont let ur wife wear a pikini or how u spell it like dont make her what she wears in UK for a beach  " illegal in Kuwait " i have yet to seeen anyone do it ? " not a pervert am just saying  i haven't seen anyone do it

only in some places like Aqua Park

DAMN i wrote alot !

Wow
What a reply?
I'm here now and enjoying it. My wife joins me soon too :)
lots of good information here.
Many thanks