Moving to Scotland without any substantial savings. Is it possible?

I guess the title of this thread says it all.

Hi there

I am a 30+ female who may be considering relocating to Scotland together with my husband and baby son. I am presently employed in the education sector. I also have a Masters level of education.

We do not have a comfortable amount of savings  and were thinking whether it would be at all possible to move abroad.

Do you think it's possible to make the move without any good savings?

What are the most important things that one should consider when creating a budget for the move from an EU country?

If we make the move, we would obviously prioritise finding a job (even apply from home) first and finding accomodation second.

Thanks for reading. Any replies are much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming you're all EU citizens, so don't need to worry about visas; however, you need to consider the potential impact Brexit may have in this respect.

You work in a regulated profession (teaching), so the first thing you need to do is check that your qualification is recognised in the UK and if not, what do you need to do to do so.

Check out these websites for teaching in:

England, or
Scotland

As for savings; you'll need something to help you set up; there is no social or tied housing, so you'll need to rent something till you can buy something and then feed and clothe yourselves.  The Numbeo website provides information about costs of living, this link will take you there; you'll be able to work out how much you need p/month to live and then go from there.  I can say that teachers are in short supply all over the UK, so assuming you can sort out your qualifications, then you should have no problem finding work here.

If you have any more specific questions, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team