Best city for expat

Hallo allemaal ,
I wonder if you could tell me which is the best city to move to in the netherlands for an expat family of 4 persons, single dad and three kids.
I meant by best in terms of rental prices, job availabilty and expats communities.

And how much does it cost for a family to live there?

Dankjewel

Hi again.

The Netherlands is a very social country; there are no towns that I would say are not suitable for a family to live in.

In general, anywhere in the surrounds of Amsterdam is very expensive; Holland isn't that big so that by itself takes out a large chunk of the west; in general, the further east you go, the cheaper it is, but there are expensive areas all over the country.  The Numbeo website provides details on costs; this link will take you there; you can also use it to do comparisons between some places in Holland.

Rental accommodation in the Netherlands is in very short supply, which has the knock-on effect of making it expensive in most places, especially for a family.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I don't understand why people want to live in Amsterdam anyhow 🤔 :lol:

Dordrecht is the best city in the Netherlands! Far more beautiful than Amsterdam and it's a older too  :D
You want lots of water, grachten, very old houses, churches and museums, we have it all.  :cool:

Once you see our beautiful city you don't want to leave!  :one

Now that's a perfect example of what I mean by the nearer to Amsterdam you live, the more expensive it gets.  Apart from passing through on the train, I've never been to Dordrecht, but I'm sure it's a lovely place with all the things that Ramses describes.  We live in Enschede which is out to the east (on the Dutch/German border); using Numbeo to compare the 2 places, it tells us that Enschede is almost 15% cheaper to live in than Dordrecht.  Enschede also has lots of old stuff - although that's not would attract me to a place, to be honest.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

That's why we call them "reserve-duitsers" in the Randstad  ;) j/k

You'd think that the border had moved every weekend when practically half of Germany come to visit; not only there, but when we lived in Dusseldorf, Venlo was just the same.  Must admit that all my wife's family speak and write German fluently, so perhaps your name for them is apt.  :/