Moving to Thailand with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to Thailand may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in Thailand (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in Thailand? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

I am on a disability pension.

I have arthritis from my neck down.
3 damage disk in my back.
Pain the "flows" from my back down to my right leg.
After a little walk i start to limp on right leg/foot.

I found out that the pedestrian crossing is in poor condition here, And for me it was better to walk on the road, All so many shops and more out on the pedestrian crossing, That one have to go down on the  road and back up again, That not good for me all so.

As i write in other posts, I find pain treatment here in Thailand at a military Hospital.
So i dont have any of them problems any more.

My Mom have say she want to come 1 more time to visit us, And she is now in a wheelchair, So that have open my eyes more to look for where it is "easy" to go with her when (if) she come again.

And i have to say many shopping center dont have ramp to use for people in wheelchair.

Places we walk and enjoy when we out on trips, Dont look like it is a good idea to have someone in wheelchair with us.

All so pedestrian crossing is not easy for wheelchair.

Our Immigration dont have ramp, And i read on other forums it is the same many place around Thailand.

I did medical check-up before i move to be sure i was okay to move.
And i do one here in Thailand every year to make sure all the numbers and so on are in good condition.

And i see a Doctor at my Public Hospital every 90 days for my Vitamin (B1-6-12) injection, And if i think some other things need to be check out, I get the Doctor to do it same time.
And at same hospital i see the dentist every 6 month.

Kindly.

My thoughts:
First Social Security can be direct deposited into Bangkok Bank. You can obtain the form SS in Manila and email it back. Second health care here is mixed some good some bad, you just need to take responsibility for your own well being. I say this as a retired Clinical Pharmacist retired here. Generally itvis on par with the USA. and far less expensive. Walking in Thailand is challenging: sidewalks may be in a state of poor repair, pedestrian crossings do NOT mean cars will stop for you wheelchair ramps are not to be found in most places. Driving in Thailand is a true adventure with cars and motorcycles driving on the wrong side of the road or maybe just parked on a blind corner making even a short journey an adventure!

I have a back injury.  Cannot sit for a long time, can't stand for long, and cannot walk a long distance like at the airports, have to use wheelchair. Sidewalks don't really exist in Thailand & if they have they are not safe for a wheelchair.  Many holes & large cracks. Most places you go in Thailand do not have wheelchair ramps. It's going to be challenging for you. But if you have a van & people to help you. It's possible. I now see handicapped parking places around the city. You can apply for a disabled drivers license & then park anywhere with you flashers on & parked in neutral . Security guards will help you. Also perfect strangers. But I think it would be good to have a driver & helper. It's very cheap to get someone part time or live in. Depends on what you need.  Good Luck to you.

Didnt know the English word for sidewalks, And did a Danish to English on google, And it say "pedestrian crossing", But can see it is call sidewalks, Silly me.  :-)

@Thailand4me.

If you still live in Nonthaburi.
Check out Phramongkutklao Hospital Near victory monument.

I think very cheap to get the help.
As it is a Military Hospital there is some wait time onto you ready for the treatment.
There is some examination need before they can say if they can help you or not.
That cost some money, And a test to see if it work on you, As "only" 80% can be help.
Then a Test injection that only works for a few day/weeks, Before the Real injection.

This works for most people, Some like me, Have to try different treatment before find the right one that work like i have now, I use 3 years to find the right  treatment.
Have 2 friends that it work 1 times for.

Kindly.

Hi
Don't know anything about the medical aspects but I do know that Bangkok doesn't cater for  disability... especially wheel chairs. Most western countries do . But this isn't a western country. Even I am tripping over daily on the footpaths as they are so uneven and poorly made. I'm just being honest here... better to be honest than lie.  Hospitals  and doctors are pretty good, some are excellent so I doubt whether you'd have any problems there.  But as far as getting around.... good luck . I would say my grandchildren run to my aid with bandages and healing products once a month due to tripping over, in fact my 10 inch injury on the front of my leg  healing after a great little trip on a cement step I didn't see as I was too busy watching wires etc above my head lololololololol

My experience is based on living in Chiang Mai for 4 years.  I suppose also that it depends upon the disability as to how easy or hard it is to live in Thailand.   

If your mobility is impaired you may struggle.  If coming from the UK for example, where the pavements (sidewalks) are generally in good condition and free from obstacles, where there is some consideration given to disabled people in regard to ramps into High Street shops, and designated parking spaces, you will notice quite a difference to how things are in Thailand.

Some pavements can be ok and free of obstacles, but further up the authorities may have installed a telephone box which covers the entire pavement, necessitating you use the road.  Scooters and mopeds not only park on pavements but use them when the road is queued up !  Unfortunately some of the usually very friendly Thai people can become very selfish when it comes to anything relating to driving and parking.  There are road rules very similar to the UK, but they are almost totally unenforced, although there has been some increased interest shown by the government / Police in a desire to make pedestrian crossings safer.  However, any changes in Thailand seem to take a long time.  It is not the west - remember that ! 

In Thailand vehicles do not and will not stop at a basic pedestrian crossing.  Those controlled by lights are the only safe-ish places to cross - but even then, only around 80% of the vehicles stop.  Too many carry on ploughing through despite the dangers to themselves and the unprotected pedestrians.  I can only imagine that if you are slow on your feet (or wheelchair etc) that trying to cross any pedestrian crossing that is not controlled by lights would be very difficult indeed.  You could end up more disabled!

As a pedestrian in Thailand look not just both ways but 360 degrees when about to cross any city road.
And bear in mind that vehicles entering and leaving a side road can do so on the wrong side !

I love Thailand but would not wish to be mobility in a Thai city - so in respect of that type of disability if you want to live there I would advise against the cities and instead to find somewhere relatively quiet where you can get around more easily. I am sure there will be such places in the country so never say never, but do please research where you intend to go first and go for a holiday / visit / recce before you make any permanent move.  Good luck.  If you can do it, you will enjoy living there.

I have slight hip and knee issues and have been doing physical therapy for 3 months to strengthen my legs, plus plan to bring an electric assisted bicycle for running errands, I have a home in Saraburi a nice quiet small town and will be moving there permanently soon, but I have a large supportive family 14 members , to get me a around I point they drive, a wheel chair would not work at all except around my neighbor hood at best, providing the wild dogs left me alone, even using a cane in the future is questionable , same issue and most parking lots and sidewalks are only for the truly agile ... I would not recommend living in Thailand with any disability, without a large support network and plenty of ibuprofen brought from home. As buying in small quantities from the local pharmacy is overly expensive comparatively. I know where my life will lead in the future, a 2 level house , me living on the first floor of course, with brother in-law and mother in law living upstairs, on a piece of land outside town when I will no leave the compound much when I am much older, currently 65 , so not too far into the future, but I will have family and a safe comfortable place to live ,