Moving to England with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to England may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in England (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in England? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

Is there any reason you are asking me this question ? Who is disabled ?

Dadouyo wrote:

Is there any reason you are asking me this question ? Who is disabled ?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum.

Bhavna was asking a general question to try and stimulate a response that may help other Forum members.  You don't have to answer her post, but if you have any experience of moving to England with a disability that you are willing to share with others, then it would be much appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Who may concern,
Moving to England as disabled person, in the current situation I would say it's not easy, yes it's a process it does take a long time.

The process has changed it depends where you from even if you are from the EU still not easy a lot things they won't tell you need to find out.

My friend has special need child it took 3 years to find out the child supposed to receive higher payment with a help from the charity.

So I guess one the best way is to approach charity some of them are disappearing.

Anyway my Moto Neve give even they say No

England is easy for people with more limited physical abilities as laws over the last few decades have made wheelchair access available in all new building by design, and it forced retrofit of many older buildings.
Disabled toilets are very common, especially in larger towns, cities, and all shopping centres, and wheelchair access to road crossings is a design must. All public building of any sort must provide full wheelchair access and have disabled toilets.
Basically, it's far easier in the UK than most other countries.

Some expats are entitled to benefits, some are not (some charities also offer assistance), but none of the above is guaranteed to all, and you have to find out what your entitlements are rather than expect someone to tell you.

I'm not disabled myself, but from what I've noticed since I'm in London, it seems that space have been made in most of the buildings (work, leisures, sport, shopping centre, etc) to ease people with a physical disabilities.
I'm not so sure about flat owned by private landlords though....
As Fred said above, I also think people with any kinds of disability who need help can find assistance from local council and charity organisations. A lot of useful informations available on the government site www.gov.uk and the website of the local council where you live (directory of local charity organisations).