Moving to China with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to China may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in China (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in China? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

China has made an effort to support people with disabilities. Every sidewalk in every city, and town has raised areas for blind people to use. There are wheelchair ramps, and braille menus on most public signs.

The further out you go from the bigger cities, the less prevalent these aides are.

I actually have a video here on my blog that shows how wheelchair bound people use the subways in China...

https://metallicman.com/laoban4site/sna … ia-part-9/

Everything depends on your disability.  Remember, China is a mix of old and new.  The newer metro stations all have accommodations for disabled people, the older ones not so much.  It gas only been in the last decade or so that China has focused on people with disabilities.

As for healthcare,  it is good here, but depending on your insurance you may have different experiences.  I have good insurance and the treatment is great!

As for immigration,  that may be an issue.  To get a residence visa requires a physical.  I assume the physical is required because China doesn't want "sick" foreigners here.  I would recommend finding the details of the physical requirements before coming.  Good news is you can get a multiyear business or tourist visa and stay as long as you like, bad news is every 90 days you have to leave and reenter then go to the police station to extend your temporary residence permit.

Yeah, I don't know where Vannrox lives, but I travel China extensively and haven't seen much for disabled people most where I have been. Maybe he's in the larger 1st tier cities in the newer areas.

Admittedly most of my travels are to 2nd and 3rd tier cities. few weeks ago i was in Guilin Guangxi down South, before that Zhuozhou Hebei, HoHot Inner Mongolia, Xining Gansu,  Nanjing and Jinhu Anhui ... many many more.

There is nothing for disabled people that i see, I do see people being pushed in wheelchairs down the roads because the footpaths are usually made from those stupid tiles they insist on using everywhere (that keep breaking and lifting or sinking unevenly) - note that the tiles have those special ribbed tiles guides for blind people though.

By the way, my Cousin is a Tetraplegic and I have thought of bringing him over for a visit, so i have been aware of it to some extent.

So no, not much for disabled people outside of the biggest cities, but on the other hand, you can hire people quite cheaply to asist you.

@pandabiz

All those yellow tiles with the lines are for disabled people. They are found all over China. I have seen them in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Wenzhou, and even Tangxia (Donggruang). Not that it's important, but I live in Zhuhai, and I have videos of the special services offered by China for disabled people.  Watch them.

https://metallicman.com/laoban4site/sna … ia-part-9/

There are ramps everywhere for wheelchair access. Many (but not all) elevators have symbols in braille. Disability dogs are permitted everywhere, and the police are specially trained to support people with disabilities.

Is it better or worse than what can be found in the USA? I would say that it is about on par.