Deposit money refunded?

I have a question anyone is able to assist. I was living in San Pedro for six months, I rented an apartment and signed a lease. I left at the end of my six months I have been trying to get my deposit money refunded to me. I have sent several emails and txt however the managers and owners have not responded. Is there an agency that over see conflicts between tenants and landlord in Belize?

Hello omenay,

A new topic has been created with your post since the subject being broached deserves a thread of its own for more visibility.

Thank you.

Diksha
Team Expat.com

I don't know about refunding of deposits in Belize but I have never got my full deposit back from any rental anywhere in the world and I have always handed back a property as good or better than I received it. Landlords will always claim something is damaged or  broken. One landlord claimed half the deposit because he said I left dog poo in the garden, I didn't even have a pet.  Best I got back was 90% he held on to the rest in case something chargeable came up later.

Unfortunately, If you are not there, it is unlikely you will get your deposit back. There is no public advocacy agencies in general. They figure you arent coming back, so why pay you. Trash them on social media relentlessly. If they hear about it enough to affect business, they may pay you to shut up. If not, at least you warned others.

No, there is no agency for this, nor is there one in any city I have ever lived in. I have to concur with terrific - I have rarely ever gotten any portion of a deposit back on any property I have leased or rented. There is always some sort of 'incidental' damage from routine use that they don't consider to be 'normal wear and tear', and thus justifies their retaining your money. I doubt you will get it back, but you never know.