Monthly living costs - ideas?!

Dear All

I'm trying to get my head around budgeting for living in Germany and was compiling a list of the minimum costs I should expect on a monthly/annual basis. Can anyone offer any advice on what I've missed?

Accommodation
Rent - Kaltmiete
Rent - Nebenkosten

In addition to Nebenkosten, if not included
± Heating - Heizung
± Electricity - Strom
± Water - Wasserrechnung
± Drainage - Abwassergebühr

Comms
TV licence - Fernsehegebühren
Mobile phone - Handy
Landline/internet - Festnetz & Internet

Insurances
Personal liability insurance - Haftpflichtversicherung
Health insurance - Krankenversicherung

Car
Fuel - Benzin
Insurance - Autoversicherung
MOT - TÜV
Maintenance - Wagenpflege

Any thoughts about things I have missed very gratefully received!

(Clearly, the list could go on & on, depending on lifestyle, but I'm looking at the minimum set of costs that are essentially unavoidable)

Many thanks for help
Mark

Check THIS website out, it will answer your questions.

Seems pretty obvious that one has to budget for food. And this varies greatly according to ones habits. Prices in supermarkets for basics in Germany are relatives low. But again, it depends on what one buys and if they stick to band names rather than the usually as good but much cheaper house brands. Also, is one eating mostly organic because this will increase one's budget by at least a third. Does one eat out and how often? One can get a filling falafel , dönner or sandwich for less than 5 euros. Or often find a simple Chinese place where a good meal only cost 6 or 7 euros. Or one can easily spend 20 -30 euros at a nice sit down restaurant… Entertainment is also a factor as are hobbies; does one join a fitness studio or sports club because this can vary from around 50 to 100 Euros a month.

You give too few details regarding what you want or need, for anyone to give you a useful answer:

Rent - Kaltmiete - can be €200 -4000, depending on location, size, etc.
Rent - Nebenkosten - can vary by a similar range

TV licence - Fernsehegebühren - €17.50/month
Mobile phone - Handy - €10 - 100/month, depending on the plan you choose and your usage
Landline/internet - Festnetz & Internet - €15 - 100/month, depending on the plan you choose

Personal liability insurance - Haftpflichtversicherung - optional and I don't know the cost
Health insurance - Krankenversicherung - this depends on your income (public scheme) or your age, health (prior conditions) and the plan you choose (private scheme) - you cannot normally choose which scheme to join!

Fuel - Benzin - currently around €1.50/l
Insurance - Autoversicherung - depends on the car and many other factors, incl. th plan you choose, roughly €250 - 1500/year
MOT - TÜV -technical check required every other year, costs below €100, but there might be reparis and adjustments needed to pass (which cost extra)
Maintenance - Wagenpflege - this depends entirely on what you do and how many problems your car makes

For food, local transport and daily necessities, I find a rule-of-thumb valkue of €20/day for each person a resonable minimum - obviously the more the better.