New to HCMC

Hello I'm Cam I Come from Canada, I need Help because I just got here and would like some insights on how everything works. I'm a Credit manager back in Canada and Just finished my TEFL Cert. I have no experience teaching English so I'm very concerned on getting a teaching position here in Vietnam.

Any advise would be helpful

Thanks !!

Finding an English teaching position is just like any other job. You need to contact potential employers and apply with your CV/resume, which doesn't need to be to fancy but should have a professional-looking photo.

You can send e-mails to schools that are looking and maybe post your CV/resume here (scroll down for the jobs):
https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

Otherwise, dress up a bit and knock on doors with some hard copies of your CV. Almost every school has a website/facebook page where you can get names and addresses. Just search for 'english school hcmc'. Lots of expats/teachers groups on FB, too. Basically, network, find some English teachers (go to bars), get some leads.

Most of the work is teaching kids and teens, or IELTS test prep. There will be some demand for p/t teachers in public schools when the school years starts.

Finally, with your background as a credit manager, If you can get some teaching experience and also look into how to create a course (needs analysis, placement/level testing, content selection, syllabus creation, scheduling, assessment and evaluation, etc.), maybe you can land some corporate classes in the banking/finance/business sector.

What hometown city is your wife from?  If she is from a smaller city, you might consider looking there, as schools there may have fewer native speakers available and be more willing to consider teachers who do not meet all work permit requirements.

The only area where I would take exception to johnross23's comments is in the area of public school work.  This is the only area where the government has real leverage as they can ask for paperwork on all teachers placed in public schools.  There was a crackdown when I was employed (with a permit) and my school had to be sure all public school teachers had all their work permitting in order.  For the ineligible teachers working at the center, they simply took their names off the scheduling board and had them lay low for a few days.

Private tutoring or corporate jobs are possible but more likely once you have a regular job and some experience to make yourself more attractive in that respect.

Thanks for the great info on this.

So I heard in the news that they are raising standards for English teacher. Does this mean additional credential and certification will be needed in the future?

QuidProQuo :

So I heard in the news that they are raising standards for English teacher. Does this mean additional credential and certification will be needed in the future?

This could be the case, but haven't seen or heard anything about this.

If you have a link to the news, please post it.

In general, language schools, which are privately owned businesses, are free to hire whomever they choose, which is not necessarily based on qualifications but on availability and personality.

QuidProQuo :

So I heard in the news that they are raising standards for English teacher.

Probably wishful thinking on the part of government bureaucrats.  They don't even have 100% compliance with the current standards of a 4 year degree plus a TEFL course.

THIGV :
QuidProQuo :

So I heard in the news that they are raising standards for English teacher.

Probably wishful thinking on the part of government bureaucrats.  They don't even have 100% compliance with the current standards of a 4 year degree plus a TEFL course.

I think you will find it relates to Vietnamese teachers more than foreigners.

CamtheMan :

I'm a Credit manager back in Canada and Just finished my TEFL Cert.

I inferred from the above that you do not have a 4 year degree but that is not necessarily true.  If you have a 4 year degree, my apologies for reading into your statement.  You should be able to work legally.  Whether you can overcome hiring prejudices against people who appear to be Asian is another problem.  Hence my comment about looking for work in smaller cities.

colinoscapee :

Just before I left, my school wanted me to do a two week stint in Ben Tre, my wife's home town.  The goal (in two weeks?  :unsure ) was to get local English teachers up to the current standard which at  the time was to pass the the FCE exam.  This only signifies a CEFR B2 or upper intermediate level.  It is about the same as IELTS 6.0.  At the time a significant number of English teachers, particularly outside of HCMC and Hanoi were not passing the test.

THIGV :
colinoscapee :

Just before I left, my school wanted me to do a two week stint in Ben Tre, my wife's home town.  The goal (in two weeks?  :unsure ) was to get local English teachers up to the current standard which at  the time was to pass the the FCE exam.  This only signifies a CEFR B2 or upper intermediate level.  It is about the same as IELTS 6.0.  At the time a significant number of English teachers, particularly outside of HCMC and Hanoi were not passing the test.

Basically, still the same.

Heard and seen it briefly from one of those VTV network. And it specifically stated foreign instructors

Maybe they were referring to non-native teachers.