Retiree looking for rental back in the UK

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am 65 and retiring after having worked in China for the last 16 years. I expected another couple of years here but new restrictions on age have made this impossible for me, not to mention my health has worsened in recent years - not critical but nevertheless, tiring. Having been forced to retire earlier than expected I now find myself in not the healthiest of positions. None of my family still lives and my friends in the UK have passed or are limited. To be frank England is a stranger to me after so long away.
I am not too fussy about where I live, though I must consider my Chinese wife (we have been together 10 years) who will be joining me, and who will be looking for employment once she is allowed too. Therefore, need access to employment areas etc, to benefit and open up opportunities for her.
I am hoping someone from the old country and who will be working abroad has a property they might rent me from about the end of August 2019, or early September 2019.
I am returning to the UK at the end of August, my wife will be joining me toward the end of October.
If you cannot help in this matter is there some useful advice you might offer other than look at UK rental agencies who want the earth before you can even see a property.
Thank you - David

I recommend that you or your wife check out the Chinese students/postdocs message boards. I know of two researchers who bought flats and moved to (1) a bigger rental to start a family (2) got a job at a different university.

I'll check out the current situation on those specific examples for you . But the point is it's not uncommon and might be your best shot.