Kitas

How does an English gent apply for a kitas
What's the cost
What do I need

Marriage certificate
Birth certificate
Maybe bank statements to prove you have enough cash to live without working (only maybe if you're from England)
Passport
A bunch of forms you will have to fill in
Legal stamps (materai) Rp6,000 each
A sponsorship letter from your wife
Every other bit of paperwork you have for anything vaguely related to life (just in case someone asks you for whatever - and someone is likely to regardless of if you should supply it or not)
Patience and a pleasant manner - even when you're making your fifth trip to immigration with paperwork nobody had previously asked you for.

Photocopies of everything

If you're both in England at the moment, ring the embassy. If you're on the lovely island of Java, off to your local immigration office.

Agents - You don't need one as long as you're willing to spend a little time to get the stuff.

Question is - Where in Java?

East java surabaya

Errolbarned wrote:

East java surabaya

Big city and provincial capital so that's likely to mean less travelling. It's been a very long time since my first KITAS and the rules might well have changed, so I'm way out of date.
If you're on a tourist or other short term visa at the moment, apply as quickly as possible to the nearest immigration office (Take your lady wife with you), taking all the documents mentioned above. I have yet to come across an immigration office so far that didn't have a photocopy shop or few within a hundred metres, so extra copies should be easy. If you have a scanner and colour printer at home, take colour scans of the documents - I did for everything and it goes down well.
The first trip is likely to be exploratory, finding out what documents they want (over and above the list), getting the format of the letter your wife must write, and them deciding if they want proof of income or savings.
Smiles are a great help, just as much as polite and respect go down extremely well.
Wear long trousers, proper shoes of whatever sort, and a shirt with a collar or you might get kicked out. It doesn't have to be formal dress, smart but casual is fine.
Immigration might well want to conduct a home visit to make sure you're really married, but I only had that pleasure when I applied for an unusual document a few years ago. The officers have seen everything before, know the scammers, fake marriage games, and everything else so always be upfront and honest.
Once you're through the bumf, it's off to Singapore or Malaysia to pick up the telex, then back home and the final paperwork.

Most people suggest Singapore for the telex but I happen to like Kuala Lumpur, so I went there.

Thanks fred