UK Employer - Moving to Malta

Hello,

If I get hired by a UK company and I am resident in Malta,
will the UK company need to do all the deductions in UK and I get the net salary with no more taxes due in Malta
or
do I need to consider all the deductions as 'paid taxes' and if there is a difference, pay the difference by myself?

thanks

Frusta wrote:

Hello,

If I get hired by a UK company and I am resident in Malta,
will the UK company need to do all the deductions in UK and I get the net salary with no more taxes due in Malta
or
do I need to consider all the deductions as 'paid taxes' and if there is a difference, pay the difference by myself?

thanks

When you are resident in Malta you have to pay all your dues in Malta disregarding where your employer is coming from. In that case you are considered a locally enrolled employee.

Everybody regardless of whether they work here or not have to complete the yearly tax forms, this is the law here.

Hello, sorry maybe I wasn't clear

what I meant is,

- any UK Employer MUST first deduct from my gross salary whatever is due in UK (taxes, pension etc.)
What I get is the net salary after UK taxes.

if I get the net salary AFTER UK taxes, what is left due in Malta? Do i need to pay any difference?

Frusta wrote:

Hello, sorry maybe I wasn't clear

what I meant is,

- any UK Employer MUST first deduct from my gross salary whatever is due in UK (taxes, pension etc.)
What I get is the net salary after UK taxes.

if I get the net salary AFTER UK taxes, what is left due in Malta? Do i need to pay any difference?

You complete a Maltese tax return showing all income and tax already paid and what has already been paid is set against any tax due here, if you have already paid more than would be due here then you have no further liability.
Be aware of the new tax laws covering worldwide income exceeding €35,000 which incur a minimum tax liability of €5,000.

It depends.

UK tax people can consider your income taxible there if its earned entirely there or if all your responsibilities are there, I never really got how they can legitimately say that but they do, several of my friends are in that boat.  In that case you file a return there and due to the tax treaties nothing is due here - but you have to complete a tax return in that case thats basically all 0s

Other option is your UK employer register here to pay PAYE and its all done here, past that options are to be self employed etc but it gets more complex.