Safety

Hey! I was just wondering if DR is a safe place, I am going to go live there and I am a little concerned over that issue.

Welcome to the forums.  We have covered this a number of times.

It very much matters where you live, how you live, how you behave and with whom you associate!

Where are you moving to honey?

Very safe  is the norm in the tourist zones where there is a dedicated tourist police force (Cestur).

In reality it is a safer country to live than someone living in a big US or European city but there are suburbs of some cities here where expats do not and would not go.

It is certainly a safer place than Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands or Mexico.

And guess what.......it is going to be even safer in the tourist zones with additional measures taken, after the malicious Murdoch press campaign.

We are moving to DR next year in retirement mode, with little concern. It is like anywhere else. Just heed the advice above. And you really have to a good amount of scrutiny to the media. The whole DR tourist thing got out of hand.

I wonder if people are questioning the safety of living in the USA after the recent shocking 3 mass shootings at public venues?

I am and I have concerns for my son working in California.

The western press hold such despicable double standards when reporting about a developing nation compared to western society.

I would be most suprised to hear about such similar events here in public places that have recently happened in the USA, especially in the well policed areas where expats live. More so in Las Terrenas.

Where is it safer for an expat to live if you have choices on your home location? I think Las Terrenas and Punta Cana will be much safer options now than places like a Texan city or an Ohio town.

......but don't indulge in AI mini bars nor sniff the pesticide sprayed plants outside your balcony........if you have questionable health.

I was just talking about this with my husband today. We have had so many co-workers, friends and family question our idea of moving to DR especially after all the hype in Punta Cana. They never think about all the crime that happens in every city in the US every day until something like this happens and they are reminded AGAIN!! I will be sure to ask them like they did me if they are going to stay here with all this uncertainty?? Or move out of the country. I'm sure they won't appreciate it, but I don't like being questioned about my choices either.

At the risk of provoking lengthy, bitter arguments...I must still answer the questions asked and points made.

NO, I (speaking for me personally) don't feel unsafe in the United States:
**  I do all I can to avoid the notorious "Gun Free Zones," which should be re-designated "Risk-Free Target Zones," because that's where the crazies go to make their splash with high body counts before anyone can stop them.     
======>>>> The single most important step available to reduce "active mass murderer" events is to BAN GFZs.  Over 98.5% of all deaths due to "active mass murderers" occur in GFZs!!! 
======>>>> Do the math, folks.  NOTHING on the gun control agenda would reduce deaths by active mass murders nearly as much as banning GFZ.  So, if you really care about protecting people...ban GFZs.
** When I do go out in public -- completely legally, of course, at all times -- I am appropriately and well-armed.  I can and will defend myself, should the need ever arise.  I will also defend others, if need arises.   I can and will stop the threat. 
** We make it a point to avoid travelling to/through states that do not recognize our concealed weapons permits.
** We make it a point to NEVER travel to obvious dangerous spots -- which does shift over time.  These currently include all of Chicago and Baltimore, some parts of NYC and Los Angeles, Denver, Phoenix, Atlanta.  In the past (1980s) Washington, DC was on our "do not visit" list -- though I did work in the District during that period, it was during the crack cocaine-caused epidemic of violence, and we only visited the District for fun during daylight hours, and never outside the National Mall areas.  NYC once was a "do not visit," until Giuliani cleaned it up.  Now that de Blasio is letting crime take over NYC once more, it is getting close to being back on our DNV list. 

Do I sound paranoid?  Actually, I'm not. I'm extremely relaxed -- because I'm extremely prepared. I will also note that none of my weapons have ever left their holster outside of my home, except for competitions or practice drills, over ten years of legal concealed carry.  Few ever know that I have a weapon with me.  Going back to my first firearm purchase in 1980, I have NEVER had to draw or point a firearm -- primarily because I am very careful where/when I go places.

Of course, occasionally we MUST travel to locations in which we cannot legally carry -- and we scrupulously obey even the bad laws in such matters. We do prepare ourselves to respond to any threats that may arise, with the maximum, legally-permitted responses available.  I won't say exactly what that entails, as it varies so widely among states, counties, cities and towns.  But we prepare ourselves as far as we are legally permitted to do so.  In New York City, for example, pepper spray (in certain concentrations) is completely legal to carry and use for self-defense. 
=====>> Of course...in the US as in the DR...the criminals will continue to use illegally-obtained weapons in spite of any gun laws -- Chicago and Baltimore certainly prove that.  As does the recent shooting of the baseball player in the DR.
=====>>>> To the extent that actual terrorists "may" be unable to obtain firearms -- and if you know anything about terror attacks since 9/11, you know they don't -- the focus will simply shift toward other weapons, be that knives or trucks or poison or chemical or whatever. And since the general, law-abiding public will be disarmed, those attacks may actually become MORE lethal...as the last several years in Europe have proven. 

Our desire to live (snowbird) in the DR does present  a quandary, due to the difficulties involved with obtaining and owning firearms legally in the DR.  We will comply with all laws.  Should the DR eventually succeed in banning all firearms from private, legal hands, we'll comply, but watch events closely.  At the point we see the safety trends have gone negative...we'll first avoid the major risk cities/areas, and if necessary, cease visiting the DR.  It's just that easy. 
====>>>>> Again, please note that the number of illegal firearms in in the hands of criminals in the DR will not diminish in that scenario, so don't expect "gun violence" to go down. 
=====>>>>> I have deployed to combat zones, and have a child who has deployed to combat zones.  I worry about that risk far, far less than I worry about the risk of GFZs.  If I had a child in college today, I'd advise him/her to choose a state where college students ARE permitted to arm themselves, legally, for self-defense. 

To repeat...the single most-effective measure to be taken against crazies and criminals...is repealing federal and state laws requiring Gun Free Zones...with the exception of secure areas inside courts, airports, planes, and a few more. 

ExpatRusher

I guess I should of mentioned too, I do feel very safe where I live in Florida and love the area, but always aware of where I am and people around me as I will continue to do living in DR. My main issue with crime is why can't some people admit it can happen anywhere at anytime. Some people I know in the US tend to live there lives in a bubble and think it doesn't exist here only in other countries....just because it has not personally touched them.

And we will not be discussing guns and the USA any further. Lets stay on track please.

Santo Domingo.- The US State Dept. Consular Affairs Office. reported that the results of toxicological tests performed on tourists who died in the Dominican Republic are consistent with natural causes.

According to Fox News, the FBI opened an investigation into the deaths of tourists in Dominican Republic resorts. Subsequently, the agency delivered a report to the Dominican authorities.

In an exclusive statement sent to Fox News 43 by the Office of Consular Affairs of the State Department says

“The results of additional extensive toxicological tests conducted to date have been consistent with the findings of local authorities (Dominican Republic). Our condolences are with the families during this difficult time.”

The Attorney General's Office has yet to provide details into the death of tourists in the country.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/201 … auses-fox/

DR is still and has been very safe for tourists in the main resort areas.

Call me dumb but I'm beginning to think all of these people passing was an incredible coincidence.

Statistics bore out the rate of US tourist deaths here was not abnormal.  But the pick up of reporting by the US press surely was abnormal.

Was in one of the affected resorts in Playa Nueva Romana last weekend and the gorging of food  and quaffing of branded alcohol was unimaginable in some cases of older persons already in a portly state. Potential cardiovascular problems everywhere you looked with low season bargain hunters not missing a free anything - just like those back in May.

Zero surprises for me.

I found it normal or under what is normal statistically. 

Abnormal was the sensationalist reporting. That was clearly driven by something or someone. 

And it's made worse by those wanting either money or 15 minutes in the spotlight.

Adding to the common overindulgence in food and alcohol that Lennox notes - many people skip their maintenance medications while on vacation since their daily routine is disrupted.

And then you have some couch potatoes that decide to be active for the first time in a while and that can stress an existing condition.