Public Kindergartens in Auderghem

Hi all, I am a newbie here, so pls bear with me.

Well, we, a family of 3, are to move to Brussels next September. We are looking for a kindergarten for our soon to be 4 yo child. We have the option to go to European School, but we would also like to explore public kindergartens. We have heard by word of mouth that the school system is excellent in Belgium. It will be an excellent opportunity for our little one to learn French.

The problem is that we can not find an online list with the kindergartens in Auderghem.

What do you think of public schools in Belgium? Do you have any experience?

Kindergarten is German. What language are you seeking? What street do you live on?

For French.

https://guide-ecoles.be/

Currylover wrote:

Kindergarten is German.

Yes it is but its used all over the world. America, UK, Canada etc...

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Brussels is bi-lingual; so I guess you could find both Dutch and French schools; the Dutch word for a Kindergarten is "kleuterschool"; the French word is "jardin d'enfants"; I'm pretty sure that most will know what you mean by Kindergarten.

I've just had a look for myself and can't find any in the area and am wondering if they have been absorbed into the basisschool's.  The link that Currylover provided does list some creche facilities in the area, but whether that's educational I have no idea; certainly, when our kids were of that age, they were more babysitting types of places; perhaps some further research is needed.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

The expression "jardin d'enfants" is certainly not used in the French public system in Brussels. It's an ecole maternelle.

I believe Cynic is not in Belgium given the incorrect information given.

Auderghem has kleuterescholen!

There are no vacancies however.

The link I posted covers ALL French public French schools in Brussels, from age 2.5 to 18. It covers NO CRECHES as creches go to age 3.

I'm sure most people in Brussels who speak English will be puzzled by the term Kindergarten. This is because in English, it means many different age groups. For an American, it is the name of a school year for 4-5 year olds in elementary school. For a British, it means somewhere a baby goes to.

@ Currylover

Quite true, I'm not in Belgium, but advisers are here to help people.  None of the information I provided was incorrect; perhaps you should read what I actually said instead of what you think I said.

Your link does include Creche; I checked it before I wrote it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I almost all your information is incorrect.

Currylover wrote:

I almost all your information is incorrect.

OK if you want to do it the hard way:

Brussels is bi-lingual; - TRUE/FALSE

so I guess you could find both Dutch and French schools; - TRUE/FALSE

the Dutch word for a Kindergarten is "kleuterschool";  - TRUE/FALSE

the French word is "jardin d'enfants";  - TRUE/FALSE

I'm pretty sure that most will know what you mean by Kindergarten.  - TRUE/FALSE

I've just had a look for myself and can't find any in the area and am wondering if they have been absorbed into the basisschool's. - TRUE/FALSE

The link that Currylover provided does list some creche facilities in the area, but whether that's educational I have no idea; certainly,  - TRUE/FALSE

when our kids were of that age, they were more babysitting types of places; perhaps some further research is needed. - TRUE/FALSE

Feel free to point out what is incorrect; I accept that English may not be your first language.  Feel free to replace my incorrect information.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hardin d enfants is not the name 9f public preschool in Brussels or Belgium.

There are kleuterscholen in suderghem ( oudergem), both standalone ones and ones integrated with lagere scholen so called bausscholen. Local knowledge and easy to find on www.inschrijveninbrussel.be

The op is asking about schooling for a 4 year old. 4 year olds do not attend creche in Belgium, they attend maternelle or kleuterschool. All maternelles in Brussels are on that link already given, kleuterscholen in Brussels are on link given in this post.

The word kindergarten in Belgium refers to preschools in eastern Belgium, autonomous area within liege province or to the 2 private germi schools in wezemberk oppen in class Brabant.. if asking an English speaker what that word means, the responses will vary.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Incorrect
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Currylover wrote:

Hardin d enfants is not the name 9f public preschool in Brussels or Belgium.

There are kleuterscholen in suderghem ( oudergem), both standalone ones and ones integrated with lagere scholen so called bausscholen. Local knowledge and easy to find on www.inschrijveninbrussel.be

The op is asking about schooling for a 4 year old. 4 year olds do not attend creche in Belgium, they attend maternelle or kleuterschool. All maternelles in Brussels are on that link already given, kleuterscholen in Brussels are on link given in this post.

The word kindergarten in Belgium refers to preschools in eastern Belgium, autonomous area within liege province or to the 2 private germi schools in wezemberk oppen in class Brabant.. if asking an English speaker what that word means, the responses will vary.

No, the OP was asking about Kindergartens, the rest of what you say is a strawman argument you have created to try and justify your negative comments.  He also asked for opinions on public schools in Belgium - for which I didn't offer an opinion.

So, to summarise, it would be misleading, to say as you said "almost all your information is incorrect" when at worse I used a straight translation of a word, whereas you used a colloquial word in general use; the rest of what I said is 100% correct.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Currylover wrote:

Kindergarten might be used in English all over the world but it's meaning differs depending on countries and linguistic background, it's an ambiguous word best avoided, in Belgium it refers specifically to 2 situations already described and not of use if seeking preschool in Brussels as the op is.

This is getting tiring!! Please remember where you are. Its Called Expat.com for a reason. Members come and ask for advice so words of the local language might not be familiar with them so they use a GLOBALLY KNOWN word known. In this case Kindergarten, I'm wondering if you would have criticized the word of Pre-school being used because of that is English?

Dear English-speaking mates,

When you are done bickering about how each word can be translated, perhaps we could go back to that person's request.

This family is looking for a school for their FOUR-year-old child. So it's over for him the nursery. He's in kindergarten.

Organization of Maternal Education

It is aimed at children between the ages of 2 1/2 and 6 years old.

It is highly recommended and lasts three years (or a little longer if the child enters school at 2 1/2 years)

The kindergarten program focuses on:
socialization of the child: it is a matter of preparing him for life in class and in society, of teaching him to respect the rules of life in society.
a progressive approach to reading, writing and numeracy by developing one's motor skills: manual manipulations, body expression, sensory acuity. All the learnings are presented to him in the form of games (he sings, dances, listens to stories, draws, glues, cuts, does gymnastics, walks...).
the development of psycho-motor skills through different types of activities: workshops, courses, cooperative games, opposition games, etc.
Curiosity, the desire to know, autonomy, self-assertion but also respect for others are all behaviours that are constantly encouraged in school, starting in kindergarten.

The school will provide a list of things to plan for the start of classes (e.g. handkerchiefs, aprons, gym bag...).

Some schools require the child to be clean to enter school, others accept that the child is still wearing diapers.

Small Advice for Children Who Have Never Been to School:

Talking to the child about his or her return is the best preparation. It is important to explain to her the change that will take place in her life, to show her her new school, to meet her teacher, to explain that she will ask him to hang his coat in the locker room, to sit down, to lift his finger to talk, to go to the toilet...

On the other hand, going to choose the school bag with your child can be a nice first step in order to actively involve him in his entry into the classroom.

Finally, it is preferable for the child to be dressed in clothes that he can remove easily (to go to the toilet and during the gym class).

If, on the first day of school, the child cries at the time of separation, it is important to reassure him or her, but not to last. It is normal for a child to cry on the first day or the next. Most children calm down as soon as the parent is gone. Teachers are used to dealing with this kind of situation.

It is important for the child to know at what time and who picks him up from school and to tell him if he has to stay in daycare (see below) and to respect what he has been told (come on time and not later) or risk causing him to feel  abandonment (a very devastating feeling).

The need for sleep
It is very important that the child has a stable pace of life: fixed hours to go to bed and get up in the morning.

Similarly, it is essential that he get enough sleep (between 12 and 2 hours a day for children from 3 years old).

Sleep must be prepared by an adequate emotional and environmental context (e.g. ensuring the presence of the 'doudou', a small lamp, a story... to reassure and soothe the child) that makes the child desire for the nap and bedtime: "the adult must help the child to love this very pleasant moment of falling asleep."

Note that throughout schooling, sleep (and therefore getting enough sleep) will remain an important element! The teenager needs to sleep just over 9 hours a night.

Fatigue can lead to learning and behavioural problems.

On this dear CyAdv,

Welcome to you and your family in Belgium,

I hope you will enjoy it.

Thank you all for your replies.  Brussels already feels like more friendly already.