Taking a banking risk

Has anyone opened an ordinary interest bearing Ukrainian bank account and deposited a substantial sum( 50- 100K) and accrued/compounded/accrued for a period of time?
I know there have been crashes before but .....

Yes many. And many lost that money.
In Ukraine, the State guarantees bank deposits for up to UAH 200,000.00 (apr. USD 7700). So if you want to put a bigger sum in a bank it is wise to break it by UAH 200 k. This way your money will be relatively (not 100% guarantee) protected.
I would better think about investing in real estate in Ukraine that can generate you 10%-14% annual interest.

Thanks once again greykyiv.
I hate to think I am monopolizing your time ; you seem to be the most cogent source of info but are not an actual expat but a lawyer or paralegal (?) if I'm viewing your bona fides correctly.
You are seemingly tireless . Do you get any sleep at all ?
I think you should re- handle yourself : grey eminence -
understood in its positive connotation.

So , if you don't mind, off the top of your head , when did the last 'crash' occur ? Did it affect some or most banks ?
You recommended a bank you use to another poster and in the same breath said it didn't really matter . But if the banks have to generally compete with one another and therefore offer similar interest rates wouldn't those which are partially owned by Austrian and German concerns weather storms like those in the host countries or at least better than private or non - affiliated ones ?
Didn't the federal gov. reorganize the state bank in the recent past ?
You can probably tell I didn't study commerce at university !
Would you happen to know of a fairly comprehensive english language analysis of ukrainian banking practices/history/overview ? Not a pamphlet and not master's thesis but an indepth users' manual.
Sorry to be so bloody wordy. Please feel free to completely ignore this .

I am local, correct and I do sleep not enough)
I do not like my nickname here, it is a long boring story, I would have changed it...

The crash was somewhere around 2014 I guess. According to the official data, there are 57 banks now owing money to their clients. I guess most of banks fell victims of it but I do not know which more and which less.

When I recommended those banks, I assume they were OTP and CrediAgricole, I did that due to the following reasons:
- they are foreign banks so it is not that easy to overtake them as local ones;
- I know some senior officers in there so I just can arrange better communication with them but this is purely my personal case;
- I worked with them and saw they are good in this and those things, like consulting for international operations for example.
I don't remember exactly what that post was all about so probably in that case it was not that important which bank to use.

My personal attitude - I would not put my money in a bank in UA but rather buy a flat and lease it out. I had both friends and clients who lost their money and had to do magic dancing to get their money back.

I don't know about you but I did not study commerce for sure, sadly I did not like that subject:) Banks are not my area of expertise, unfortunately. Try these resources, maybe they have some valuable info:
http://www.fg.gov.ua/enhttps://bank.gov.ua/control/en/index

Thanks again G.K.
I will be needing law services and if you are indeed a lawyer I wouldn't hesitate contacting you for a meeting ; however I do have my mind set on Odessa region rather than your neck of the woods . I don't know if you ply your trade outside your home base.

The info on banking seems to be all over the place but there are insights I'm gaining , so thanks for the heads up on those additional 2 sites.
The thing about statistics is that all statistics are made up.

I am no financier by any stretch of the imagination and my initial investment would be ownership of a residence.There is no question about that . It will be my priority after situating myself temporarily.

And I am not wealthy . But if according to the info you pointed me to bank deposits of up to 200K are insured at most banks and that amount is a little over 10K CAD and I opened 4 accounts of 10K at four different banks and locked in at maximum return for 6 or 12 months where is the great risk?
The interest rate may fluctuate , surely.
The value of the currency also (linked obviously)
I would lose if I reconverted to CAD or lose buying power because of the sinking value of the local currency but the chance that my ' investment ' would be obliterated never to bounce back or almost recover ?

I know I am naive ; haven't even yet set a foot on soil . I just can't picture a Venezuela or even Argentinian-like debacle on the horizon.

Yeah, I am a lawyer indeed, have a law firm registered, a website and things like that... So if you need help, be my guest.

Yes, if you break your deposits by 200 000 uah you are more or less secure. You still need to monitor carefully the wellbeing of your banks because if they got in trouble you will have some dedicated time to claim your money back, if you get late with submitting your claims then you lose your protection. Another disadvantage is that the state fund will not pay you money the same day, you will have to wait for some time.

You can have a deposit not only in UAH but also in a foreign currency as well.