Trip to Ecuador in december

Hello everyone,

I am new on this platform. I am 25 years old and I am from Canada, Québec. I will make a trip to Ecuador in december with my girlfriend. We will travel between Guayaquil and Quito for 2 weeks to discover this wonderfull country.

I would like to know the best places along the coast to visit and the must-see. Also, I would like to learn to surf.

If there is some people who would like to meets while we are there, it will be a pleasure.

My first language is french and I also speak english. I am learning spanish too.

Thanks !

Alstp wrote:

I will make a trip to Ecuador in December with my girlfriend. We will travel between Guayaquil and Quito for 2 weeks....

I would like to know the best places along the coast to visit and the must-see. Also, I would like to learn to surf.

Dear Al,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of expat.com ...

Montañita is widely considered the 'surf city' of Ecuador, although not the exclusive surf town.

Guayaquil is not a popular place for Expats as it is hot, humid, crowded and probably the most dangerous city in the country.  It is not on the Pacific coast although it is a major port and air-travel gateway.

"Between Guayaquil and Quito" is basically hot lowlands rarely visited by Gringos unless they are passing through.

Quito itself is at 9350 feet elevation and pleasantly cool most of the time.  The Centro Histórico sector has a preserved historical area .. and Mariscal sector has the more-modern party and restaurant zone in and around Plaza Foch.

cccmedia

Thank you cccmedia,

I will look into that ! I have seen that is not recommended to rent a car in Ecuador is it true?

Thanks!

Al

I normally use public transport there but last time I was going many places rented car it ok

Rented a car for a 2 week jaunt from Quito to Tena  , to Cuenca, to Salinas, and back to Quito. A few rough roads a few very aggressive drivers and I did not drive much in the cities. But overall no Real problems. But I am a defensive older driver. And have driven in some of the worst places in the world, new york, Rome, naples, London and worst of all Boston😁

Alstp wrote:

Thank you, cccmedia....

I have seen that is not recommended to rent a car in Ecuador is it true?

Dear Al,

Too many variables to say whether renting a car would be a good idea for you, such as how much luggage you carry, your final itinerary and your comfort level as a driver in a foreign country.

Drawbacks re car rentals include lack of adequate road signage in many areas, adjustment to Ecuadorian drivers' habits .. and having to pay attention to the road instead of the scenery.

cccmedia

I have traveled to many places in the world and never rented a car, until my last trip to Ecuador as I was house hunting in many places. I was stopped by the cops at a road block. I gave him my US license and rental stuff. He asked for my passport and couldn't find my entry stamp (I have about 100 stamps).  He handed me my passport back and said find it. I was a bit worried LOL.

Montanita was my suggestion for surfing, and I noticed that has already been recommended.  Also, Montanita is just a wonderful place to visit on the coast and I am considering moving to Olon, very near Montanita, within the next couple of years.
The public transportation here really makes it unnecessary to rent a car.  You can get anywhere in Ecuador by bus and taxis are cheap in the city.
I moved here from Austin Texas and have lived in Quito for three years next month.  If you would like to hook up for a coffee or something look me up.  You can find me under the same moniker on Facebook. However, I am a 65 year old retiree and you may be looking for someone more generational.