Sense of humour in Puerto Rico

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Puerto Rican's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Puerto Rico?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Puerto Rico and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Puerto Rico?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Attempting in any culture to use your sense of humor without understanding the language and culture may occasionally result in a trip to jail, the hospital or the cemetery.

A joke about the head of state, even revealing clothing, or keeping your eyes too long on somebody's partner can get you in trouble.

Not everyone will be understanding of your jokes or break of protocol

All of my PR friends have a great sense of humor.  🤣

I'd like to post a few jokes, but doubt they would pass the purity test here. 😎

Sense of humor is a cultural thing, a joke in one culture can be an insult to another culture.

"Somos un pueblo burlón..." a friend of mine once posted. "We are a mocking people." In general, people on this island like to laugh. There's even a popular Christmas-time song-game to make extemporaneous, limierick-like jokes.
Things that are rude to joke about in US polite society are fair game here: age, weight, skin color and other ethnic traits, accent/ability in Spanish or English, personal attributes... Comedy shows rely much more on exaggerated, clown-like personalities. Little accidents also tend to provoke giggles. But all of this is not meant maliciously nor directed at absent third parties, as it can be in the rest of the US. In fact, if a joke can be construed as malicious toward the hearers or a "falta de respeto," then the situation can rapidly deteriorate. Be careful with subtle self-deprecating jokes, as people may get angry if they can't tell if they are the target or not.
Bottom line: if one is sensitive, proud (Puerto Ricans hate arrogance), or hateful toward another person or group, one may have a difficult time here.
Things I've not really heard joked about here: religion or gender. Politics a little, but this, as in the rest of the US, is dangerous ground.

motomataru wrote:

"Somos un pueblo burlón..." a friend of mine once posted. "We are a mocking people." In general, people on this island like to laugh. There's even a popular Christmas-time song-game to make extemporaneous, limierick-like jokes.
Things that are rude to joke about in US polite society are fair game here: age, weight, skin color and other ethnic traits, accent/ability in Spanish or English, personal attributes... Comedy shows rely much more on exaggerated, clown-like personalities. Little accidents also tend to provoke giggles. But all of this is not meant maliciously nor directed at absent third parties, as it can be in the rest of the US. In fact, if a joke can be construed as malicious toward the hearers or a "falta de respeto," then the situation can rapidly deteriorate. Be careful with subtle self-deprecating jokes, as people may get angry if they can't tell if they are the target or not.
Bottom line: if one is sensitive, proud (Puerto Ricans hate arrogance), or hateful toward another person or group, one may have a difficult time here.
Things I've not really heard joked about here: religion or gender. Politics a little, but this, as in the rest of the US, is dangerous ground.

Agree 100%