Sense of humour in Panama

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Panamanian's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Panama?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Panama and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Panama?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I am sure that I have both been misunderstood and have misunderstood Panamanians in so far as "humor"; however, a Panamanian friend told me a joke that I will share here:

Because of the heat, Panamanians in the "city" don't go to hell...
They just remain in Panama City!

One of the great things about Panama is that it is basically free of political correctness  Not too much need to step on eggshells here.
The sense of humor....  Well...  it's not overly dry, witty or obscure.  I've mostly run into humor you might find in a sports locker room or a bubble gum kiosk.  But...I'm no Bernard Shaw either.

Light yet refreshing?  hmmmm

We live in a rural area, our neighbours are friendly, accepting, but not the highly educated
Types.   So one of my neighbours chickens kept roosting in my sort of depository, but there
Is no door.   She returned every year to have her babies there.  The neighbours did not want
To lose the new batch of babies, so they came with a 5 gallon pail to collect the baby chicks.
So I told them, (since the babies were born on my my property), that when the baby chicks,
We're grown up, I was going to come back to collect them to make chicken soup.  And they
Thought this was most halarious!!,  They laughed and laughed!!! Lol.  We are canadians,
Were I to tell this to a fellow Canadian, they would NOT find my joke extremely funny.

The other thing they find funny, is if someone gets hurt, or makes a mistake., 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️.
If we make a mistake on the job, and it was not serious, we would generally say, “sorry”,
Especially if a customer or client was involved.  In Panama they generally would laugh.

One time my husband was at a clinic, and he had to get some intervenors, and we walked
Out with a needle still stuck in my husband's arm.  We went back, they took it out, and
Laughed, lol. I.e., nurses, doctors, etc,.

Well written. Keep it up.

James (Bill) Lee