Where to buy an old cheap rusty car

All the cars I see for rent or sale online appear to be fancy new expensive cars. I prefer to drive 25 year old heaps of junk!

Is there a place to find old & cheap cars for sale online? Even if no convenient method online, what would be the best avenue to pursue for purchasing such a car? What should I expect with regards to the cost of a 25 year old cheap car - what is the price range and what fees/taxes would be laid on top? Is the process any different for a foreigner or local?

Moving to Cebu area soon, so that is my region of interest.

Few cars could survive 25 years of tropical island weather, I would not count on finding any such thing.  A vehicle that old has probably already been taken apart for parts and scrap metal.  Not much idle metal in the Philippines.

mugtech wrote:

Few cars could survive 25 years of tropical island weather, I would not count on finding any such thing.  A vehicle that old has probably already been taken apart for parts and scrap metal.  Not much idle metal in the Philippines.

Except for jeepneys!  :lol:

Well MAFKBPIS,

Looking for a 1994 car will be tough. Before I moved here from Las Vegas a 25 year old car was eligible for classic license plates.

What I might suggest instead of exploring the market using age as a consideration, try setting a price range.

As you know an old car can be expensive considering the purchase price, repairs, insurance, fuel, license & possibly car payments. Back in the states I had a pretty decent car and had to sell it for a loss because of my impending move to the Philippines.

Living in Pasig City I would never dream of driving, if you drove like these Filipinos do, but in the states, somebody would shoot you at the next red light.

Overall I use Grab and believe I will come out Dollars ahead and without all the aggravation. Better to arrive late than dead.

W9XR wrote:

Well MAFKBPIS,

Better to arrive late than dead.

Is it possible to be late in the Philippines?

The traffic in Cebu, as well as Manila, is CRAZY!!!  Grab cars are numerous and cheap, even more so Habal Habals, Tricycles, and Jeepneys.

I ride MCs and drive cars in Philippines, but not in those cities.

I would not buy a car that old for reasons already cited. I would add that often the vehicle maintenance is neglected out of financial necessity, so your chances of getting a well-maintained 10 year old car, much less one 25 years old, are pretty low. I drive in Cebu but sold the MC as I could see that wasn't going to turn out well. Like others have mentioned Grab is not a bad option for some.

Hi.i have a 1993 nissan terrano,which i have had for 5 years now.deisel,cheap to run,strong car,no rust,never had any problems.ITS HOW YOU MAINTAIN  IT WHAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE. 2-3 thousand peso a year to licence..300 for yearly emmision test."thats it". It gets me from a to b. Costs of cars at this age are around 150,000-250,000p.cars here do not decline like abroad. But the only problem with driving here is that its VERY DANGEROUS.Only because of rude impatient ,unlicenced,inexperienced speeding drivers.manila is slow.outside manila is where the problems start .    SO safe driving my friend!!!!

mafkbpis wrote:

All the cars I see for rent or sale online appear to be fancy new expensive cars. I prefer to drive 25 year old heaps of junk!

Is there a place to find old & cheap cars for sale online? Even if no convenient method online, what would be the best avenue to pursue for purchasing such a car? What should I expect with regards to the cost of a 25 year old cheap car - what is the price range and what fees/taxes would be laid on top? Is the process any different for a foreigner or local?

Moving to Cebu area soon, so that is my region of interest.

Look on Face Book marketplace also local buy and sell FB pages..or simply google Cebu cars for sale.. I disagree with some post here, there are thousands of cars available in that age bracket. Mine for example is a 1986 Toyota Corolla in very good condition. I paid 130,000 pesos.

Have you tried philmotors? Website...loads of old clunkers.