Learn the language!

I just arrived in Mauritius, and sadly don't speak French. As such, I also am not great at differentiating whether or not people are speaking French or Mauritian Creole. Either way, what are the best resources for learning both or either?? Are there classes available anywhere on the island? Any that are highly recommended?

There are French and Creole classes, either by qualified tutors or just people teaching the basics, that you can attend. There are also online resources that you can use for a start.

Whether you will need to learn both will depend on how long you will be staying in Mauritius and your job characteristics if you are coming for work.
Up to 6 months, basic French and a few Creole words will do, given that Creole and French share many similarities.
Beyond that, a more fluent French and a decent grasp of Creole are recommended. Will help you better integrate into local life and culture.

Here's an online Creole study tutorial.

http://www.cleverdodo.mu/userfiles/medi … dition.pdf

Thanks for the link Winston! I had bought an Assimil method (in French) for learning Mauritian Creole but it somehow got lost in the move. So you have my thanks :-)