Seeking long-term residency. Need advice.

Hello everyone,

I would like to live in Vietnam long-term. I'm far from retiring age so I figured I could support myself by being self-employed (I'm an alternative medicine practitioner). How do I go about obtaining legal residency that also allows me to work as a self-employed professional? Can setting up a sole proprietorship business help?  Will it be easier to obtain residency by getting married? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

This may help..... https://www.healyconsultants.com/vietna … setup-llc/

Being married will allow you a visa exemption for 5-years or a temporary resident card up to 3-years, but these dont allow you to work or own a business.

Alternative medical practitioner is a somewhat indefinite term.  It could encompass any form of medicine outside of that practiced by M.D.'s in the west.  As such there are already a large number of native persons in Vietnam who are practicing some form of alternative medicine, from university trained acupuncturists to village herbal providers utilizing knowledge passed on within families.  You may find that you face rather stiff competition.

Speaking of witch doctoring....

I will never understand the practice of coin abrasion & Chinese oil.
I refuse to participate in my wife's desire to be mutilated with a coin and then drenched with atomic menthol. The practice is common everywhere in Vietnam.
Can someone help me understand this?

Pardon my paraphrasing; 'which doctor'..?

..similar (or the same?) as the placebo effect...

The Question returns to our own origin/al reference point of what
  we wish to believe in.  And we are all unique; the necessity of all
  differences (might?) become obvious (if) we can connect the dots

Belief?   ..to BE(a)LIE F(or?)   (insert excuse!).   Our (unique?) belief
  systems all develop from our experiences, nature+nurture and form
  how we view our perceptions of reality.   Ours; others may apply..?

So nature, natural, naturopath contain the same kernel of truth we
  see so often in the humour (witch?) clouds a bitter truth...

(F)or?   You might look at the empirical studies of the -5% people
  who actually continue with correcting their invalid behaviours after
  undergoing therapy to (finally) understand why they are so different
  from the 'normal'.   Why would they bother?   For no matter how
  irrational, invalid or dysfunctional their past life was: they survived

All Knowledge carries the response-ability of correcting ignorance,
  (which means work!) so the answer is obvious (and ignored)

No matter how irrational + invalid our habituated 'practices'
  become, they have already reinforced our belief systems and why
  would we want to change them?   

That requires work...

Yogi is still evolving  Bazz.

Change is on the way........I'm becoming a minimalist.

I'm an alphabioticist. Haven't heard of any alphabioticists in Asia yet. Honestly, and sorry if I come across as blunt, but from a market standpoint, competition is not a concern for those working in this field.

THIGV wrote:

Alternative medical practitioner is a somewhat indefinite term.  It could encompass any form of medicine outside of that practiced by M.D.'s in the west.  As such there are already a large number of native persons in Vietnam who are practicing some form of alternative medicine, from university trained acupuncturists to village herbal providers utilizing knowledge passed on within families.  You may find that you face rather stiff competition.

vietexplorer wrote:

I'm an alphabioticist. Haven't heard of any alphabioticists in Asia yet.

THIGV wrote:

Basically a fancy name for stress management, would that be correct.

That is certainly one of the benefits but people rarely come to us because they're just stressed. They come to us when they are experiencing physical pain that chiropractors and other medical professionals cannot alleviate.

colinoscapee wrote:

vietexplorer wrote:

That is certainly one of the benefits but people rarely come to us because they're just stressed. They come to us when they are experiencing physical pain that chiropractors and other medical professionals cannot alleviate.

colinoscapee wrote:

There is a guy here in Vung Tau that does a similiar thing in relation to pain management.

https://www.facebook.com/biolabsweden

G'day Vietexplorer,,
What's up Doc..😆

Trying to make a dollar here in the medical game could be hard going.

Yogis no lawyer, but I doubt the cost of alternative medical treatments would be covered by medical insurance funds.  That would deter some of the potential business.   A lot of the Expats working for multi nationals would have health cover in their packages,,but unlikely for your line of business.

You'd likely be relying on “walk ins”.....mainly from the retired Expats here & blow in travellers.   

Have you seen the state some of these old blokes are in.  A lot of them are full blown screaming alcoholics that are immune from pain. 

As for stress treatment.......good luck with that.

These blokes can sit out in front of the local mini-mart for days on end ,scratching their balls & drinking cheap booze out of the shop fridge.

It's a stress free existence.    They've got just enough between the ears to figure out that they'll run out of time ,, before they'll run out of drinking money. 

It's all about priorities huh...

As for your interest in long term residency to conduct  business,,,,you suggested marriage as a way of facilitating that.

That could be fun too.😆
Good luck & welcome to Vietnam.

Yogi007 wrote:

but I doubt the cost of alternative medical treatments would be covered by medical insurance funds.  That would deter some of the potential business.

Alphabiotics is not covered by insurance anywhere.  :D

Yogi007 wrote:

You'd likely be relying on “walk ins”.....mainly from the retired Expats here & blow in travellers.

All alphabioticists rely on "walk ins". Focusing on expats and travelers only wouldn't be such a great idea. Lots of Vietnamese are in need of alphabiotic alignment. Alphabiotic alignment is not only effective but affordable. Most Vietnamese people I know can afford it.

Yogi007 wrote:

As I mentioned above, people don't usually go to alphabioticists because they're feeling stressed but because they're experiencing physical pain that chiropractors and other medical professionals cannot alleviate.

So you reckon Lots of Vietnamese are in need of Alphabiotic Alignment.   

Yogi thinks your probably right......there's certainly a surplus of crooked little buggers here.   

Good to see someone's going to straighten a few of them Up.

vietexplorer wrote:
Yogi007 wrote:

but I doubt the cost of alternative medical treatments would be covered by medical insurance funds.  That would deter some of the potential business.

Alphabiotics is not covered by insurance anywhere.  :D

Yogi007 wrote:

All alphabioticists rely on "walk ins". Focusing on expats and travelers only wouldn't be such a great idea. Lots of Vietnamese are in need of alphabiotic alignment. Alphabiotic alignment is not only effective but affordable. Most Vietnamese people I know can afford it.

Yogi007 wrote:

As I mentioned above, people don't usually go to alphabioticists because they're feeling stressed but because they're experiencing physical pain that chiropractors and other medical professionals cannot alleviate.

Just wondering how you are going to converse with locals.
Many locals are shit scared of Anh Tay and will steer clear of you just for that reason.
I wish you luck, you are dealing with a very different mindset here.

I can't help vietexplorer with her original question and curious why everyone is questioning what she does for a living and not really giving her a good answer on how she can stay in VN long-term? I have a 5 year visa but that's because I was born in VN.
Hopefully someone will come along and give you an answer to your question instead of questioning what you do for a living. Good luck!

Bazza139....

It just bothers me to watch someone mutilate themselves. I am sure you have seen the aftermath of that treatment - large red patches of skin with deep red scratches. I don't see how they keep from getting infected. Perhaps that's what the Chinese oil is all about. I haven't seen any long-term effects. I haven't seen any permanent damage yet.

qnbui wrote:

I can't help vietexplorer with her original question and curious why everyone is questioning what she does for a living and not really giving her a good answer on how she can stay in VN long-term? I have a 5 year visa but that's because I was born in VN.
Hopefully someone will come along and give you an answer to your question instead of questioning what you do for a living. Good luck!

Its obvious you haven't read all of the replies on this thread. :dumbom:

qnbui wrote:

curious why everyone is questioning what she does for a living and not really giving her a good answer on how she can stay in VN long-term? I have a 5 year visa but that's because I was born in VN.

We all know what she does for a living, that's why everyone is discussing her means of income producing.

She's in alphabioticist who wishes to open a medical clinic of sort in VN.  She imagines that she would be able to apply for a long term visa based on her business. 

There's more than one kind of long term visa.  Your VEC is for 5 years, other business owners have 3-year visa.  My niece's SO is one of those people.  He has been holding a long term visa for the last 9 years, renewable indefinitely or for as long as he continues to be an active physician. 

The OP is probably thinking along the same line.

qnbui wrote:

Hopefully someone will come along and give you an answer to your question

Colin has done that very early on in the conversation.

qnbui wrote:

Go back and read her first post.  She stipulated that she wished to reside in Vietnam based on her occupation but was not specific as to exactly what that occupation was.  Questions about her profession were certainly justified prior to answering anything about long term residency.

Try this for an answer.
1. Long term residency.    It's easy to stay here long term,,plenty of Expats here over 10 years, I know some here 20 years. 
Most will get TRCs ..temporary residence cards .   Just get a work permit & register a business like everyone else does.  Plenty of consultants here to handle all that.
NO NEED to marry anyone to stay here.

2. Supporting yourself from business earnings.  If that's your total source of income globally , it will be a hard slog.   

Your in the alternate medicine game.....did you,know a 30 minute visit to a dentist here for a tooth filling is peanuts... about $10 -$15 bucks.   

I've had a 90 minute therapeutic massage, acupuncture ,manipulation and ultra sound session ....for $15 bucks.

I have no idea what the going rate  would be for an alphabioticist in Vietnam would be.....but at a guess it would certainly be less than a dentist.   

Given you'd want a reasonable standard of living , maybe $1000 a month starting point would be basic living .   

To NETT $1000 a month after business overheads , and the “brown paper bag money” ,,how many consultations would be required to cover that.   

If your renting business premises......whoa..!! You'd be surprised at the rates.

A good business plan is required AFTER you've lived here for a while to watch,observe, listen & get a feel for how things will pan out.

Not a lot of small businesses by foreigners here are viable.   Most of the people you see walking the streets are only earning $200 bucks a month or less.

Forget the Russians & Chinese tourists as a market.  Most of them are from parts of Russia where the average income is $500 a month.  The Chinese we get here are dirt poor on Zero dollar tours. They haven't a pot to piss in.

Like any business venture....who's your market.  A bunch of piss poor bottom feeders isn't the best demographic to start a business .

Again....good luck

colinoscapee wrote:

I will have a bilingual assistant.

colinoscapee wrote:

Many locals are shit scared of Anh Tay and will steer clear of you just for that reason.

The only place I know where people are scared of a sweet 25 year old woman is the United States and it's usually only men who are scared because of all the false rape accusations, MeToo and toxic behavior of some Western women. Everywhere I go in Vietnam or any other place in the world, I enjoy preferential treatment for being a young woman. It's certainly unfair and sexist but I can't do anything about it but relax and enjoy my privileges.

Yogi007 wrote:

Your in the alternate medicine game.....did you,know a 30 minute visit to a dentist here for a tooth filling is peanuts... about $10 -$15 bucks.   

I've had a 90 minute therapeutic massage, acupuncture ,manipulation and ultra sound session ....for $15 bucks.

I have no idea what the going rate  would be for an alphabioticist in Vietnam would be.....but at a guess it would certainly be less than a dentist.   

Given you'd want a reasonable standard of living , maybe $1000 a month starting point would be basic living .   

To NETT $1000 a month after business overheads , and the “brown paper bag money” ,,how many consultations would be required to cover that.   

If your renting business premises......whoa..!! You'd be surprised at the rates.

Again....good luck

Actually, I just need information on how to be able to reside and work legally in Vietnam. I have no problem with my business. After a few months, I expect to average 200 alignments per month. I've done it before in Ukraine, a poorer country than Vietnam with people that care little about their health. I didn't know a word of Ukrainian. I won't deny it, the fact that I'm a decent looking young woman helped a lot, even in a country full of beauties like Ukraine. If for some reason my business plan fails, I have enough money to support myself for 1 year. Then I can simply go back to the US and set up shop there.

vietexplorer wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I will have a bilingual assistant.

colinoscapee wrote:

The only place I know where people are scared of a sweet 25 year old woman is the United States and it's usually only men who are scared because of all the false rape accusations, MeToo and toxic behavior of some Western women. Everywhere I go in Vietnam or any other place in the world, I enjoy preferential treatment for being a young woman. It's certainly unfair and sexist but I can't do anything about it but relax and enjoy my privileges.

Yep, fair call.

Just trying to make you aware of what may happen, traveling around and operating a business are two very different scenarios.

Have a look at the link I sent you after your original post, it's a link on how to open a business legally.

Good luck. :cheers:

vietexplorer wrote:

You're just saying out 'loud' what most people think but won't dare admit. Looks counts for a lot, and will always do no matter how 'progressive' a society wants to believe it has become.

Now, how about a cup of coffee?  :lol:

Unsadly, the silent majority will always carry the day...

..with or without the coffee...     :blink:

WillyBaldy wrote:
vietexplorer wrote:

You're just saying out 'loud' what most people think but won't dare admit. Looks counts for a lot, and will always do no matter how 'progressive' a society wants to believe it has become.

I can throw on a dress and some makeup and meet for coffee-interested. :D

colinoscapee wrote:

Don't forget a wig, Colin.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Don't forget a wig, Colin.

I think bald women are attractive, Nathalie.

colinoscapee wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:
vietexplorer wrote:

Well, it's not really what I had in mind, but I'll try to keep an open mind  ;)

Mumbo-Jumbo I'm afraid.
There have not been any scientific papers published in any reputable science journals that demonstrate the effectiveness of alphabiotics to my knowledge. Do a search yourself. Given the vague nature of the terms used to describe what alphabiotics supposedly do, it seems impossible to design a controlled experiment to test the practice. So, when someone claims that the practice has been proven beneficial by Science, I smell a rat.
Science never 'proves' anything, they just disprove - The Karl Popper philosophy of Science is Conjecture and Refutation: you put up hypotheses, then try to disprove them. If you cannot disprove the hypothesis, then the hypothesis is supported by the evidence in that case (and that case only).

Someone did conduct a controlled experiment of the effectiveness of Intercessory prayers. Outcome: No more likely to have your prayers answered than chance alone.

I believe nuttin.

The Earth is flat: Just look out the window!

Since you decided to live in Vietnam, there is a lot of elementary you should consider about to make it long-term residency.

The visa issuance is kind of flexible here since you can pick one of many schemes. You may either pick the visa scheme by the resident card or other visa exemption for the foreigners.

I am not really sure about the self-employed part of your question. However, you cannot start to work or even own a business with a resident card but other type of visa is referred to make it works. And yes, it is easier to obtain the residency by getting married here (although it is always easy to obtain residency except you are in the black list of the Immigration Department).

The insurance is probably other consideration, based on the government policy, the foreigners only pay for the insurance as the specific individual which governed on the law. Beside, the fee for insurance is kind of low which means the value of those insurances are not very effective in my opinions. The only type of insurance that the government supports for the foreigners is just social insurance. And if you ask, you are not the specific individual which has to pay for the insurance and I am really sure that you have to use the private insurance service.

Too long, didn't read?
You don't need to married for the “easier visa obtain”.
If you want to start a business, try other type of visa.
In case you got it all settled, you should consider about the insurance here for yourself in Vietnam.