Retire wants to move to Peru

We are looking for a good place to move to Peru for about a year.
We live on a fixed income but comfortable. We are looking for something
by the water, my mom wants to see the ocean again. We live in Carson
City Nevada and at 4500 feet above sea level not much ocean. LOL
My mother has Alzheimer's Disease and I won't let my brother or sisters
put her in a home. We dont know much about the country so we have no
preference where we live there. What we are looking for is furnished
2 or 3 bedroom for around $700 a month with other ex-pats living in the
same area. (neither one of us speak spanish) Any comments would be welcome.
We would like to move there August 1st.
                                        Thank you,
                                         Jeff and Sandra

Dear Jeff and Sandra,

Welcome to the Peru forum of expat.com ...

Here are a few thoughts...

1.  In Peru, don't expect to find enclaves of Expats, even in the capital, Lima.  The lack of español skills you mentioned could be a major detriment to your family.

2.  The Expat-'friendly' group Inter------s has many events in Lima, but most of the participants are Peruvians who do not seem to be comfortable speaking English.  Expats in Peru for the first time may find little español spoken outside of hotels, tourism activities and some university venues.  This is true about most South American cities and towns except for the few spots that have attracted the highest percentages of Expats such as two places in Ecuador -- Cuenca and Vilcabamba.

3.  Lima has many more doctors and hospitals than other cities in Peru, which may be especially relevant given Mother's medical condition.  In South American cities, doctors (not so much dentists) often understand and speak English, in my experience.

4.  Lima -- though not all sectors of it -- is on the Pacific Ocean.  Miraflores, which is likely the most comfortable sector for Expats, is on the ocean.

5.  The weather in the capital can be warm and sticky during the summer months, and unrelentingly cloudy on most days in the winter months.  As you may know, the seasons are reversed from North America.

6.  Mexico might be a better choice than Peru.  With Mexico having close to a million USA Expats, more options are available there.  One might find many folks who may speak English in the Lake Chapala region that includes Ajijic (ah-HEE-hick), Mexico.

Give thought to someone in your family visiting Mexico, Peru or Ecuador on a scouting trip before committing for a year.

cccmedia in Lima

Hi Jeff and Sandra,

Regarding the Spanish language, it's true, a few people speak English in my city. I live in Lima. But for sure, you will learn it. Peruvian people are very hospitable and friendly.
At the hospital I found an American man who couldn't speak Spanish, but he was helped with diligence. And yes, I could talk to him while waiting our turns, a retired man of 67 years old.  Assistance to senior and disabled people is preferential.

Most tourists concentrate their activities around some districts such as Miraflores, Barranco and Chorrillos. I have a tiny apartment in Chorrillos and there are quiet areas near the beach. Accommodation and rental are less expensive there than in Miraflores or Barranco.

For signing a rental contract you must get a permission at the National Superintendence of Migrations, via online (www.migraciones.gob.pe) or personally. You can find other American expats living in Peru using this or other sites.

Learning basic Spanish expressions would always be very useful for you.

Please, count on me if you decide to visit Peru.

All the best,  :)

Ruthie

If your going for the beach in Lima you will have a nice view but requires a taxi to actually go down to the beach. The city is on high cliffs  with no easy walking access.
A friendly beach area is Manta, Ecuador and the smaller beach towns on either side. The water is also much warmer if you like to go in the ocean. Quite a few expats in the area. I have never been to the Pacifico Mall in Manta without seeing a number of expats. There are several facebook groups full of expats for the surrounding area. Manta Expats Community, Coastal Comfort - Neighbors Being Neighborly, Expats in Manabí Ecuador and Crucita Expats Online. All of these have hundreds of members.

Ruthie,
Thank you