Applying for Citizenship

Hi everyone. My name is Jo.  My husband's father was born in Mauritius and my husband would like to apply for citizenship by Decent.  Can anyone advise of the procedure and alsonthe costs involved.  We are coming to Mauritius at the end of August for about a week and would like to apply while we are there as well as look around and see what opportunities there would be for us should we choose to immigrate.  Any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks x

Hi Jo,

The application is conducted at the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) in Port Louis.

You will have to bring the following documents:
- Birth certificate of your husband
- Passport of your husband
- Birth certificate of your husband's father
- ID card of your husband's father

If the birth certificate of your husband's father is the older version, then you will have to update to the newer version. This is done at the civil status office located a few blocks away.

Bring all these documents to the PMO where you will have a few hours consultation with some officials before formally submitting the documents with an application fee of MUR 2000.
It usually takes about a year for a citizenship certificate to be issued. When this happens, you will be notified and you can than go collect it with a settlement of MUR 15,000. (not sure if the amount has changed). The citizenship certificate will officially recognise your husband as a Mauritian citizen and he will then be able to apply for a Mauritian ID card and a Mauritian passport.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the very helpful reply.
My husband's father has been issued his ID Card and has paid for it but he has not been back to Mautitius to collect it.  He had previously renounced his citizenship and then he reapplied last year.  Will this be a problem?  His ID Card is in Mauritius waiting to be collected.  It has been paid for though.  We have all the proof of this.

The ID card is not compulsory but it's good to have it just in case. The most important document is the birth certificate (updated version) of your husband's father.

You are a star thank you 👍

Sorry, it's me again...  we are concerned that we are going to make the trip to Mauritius and have our application denied on the basis that my father in law has not collected his ID CARD.  Do you know if there is some way we could phone or contact someone who would be able to know for sure.  It's an expensive trip from SA.

You can call the PMO

Tel No: (+230) 201 2409
E-mail: [email protected]

That said, from what I've been told from those who went through this process, the ID card was not needed.

Alternatively, if your husband's father is also making the trip, he can seize this opportunity to collect his card.

Thank you so much.

Once my husband is a citizen of Mauritius, is he permitted to open his own business?

Anyone can open his/her own business be it a Mauritian citizen or a foreigner.

The difference is that your husband, as a Mauritius citizen, won't have to go through the hassle of obtaining a permit and won't have to meet investment/turnover targets each year.

So yes, he will be free to open his own business.

Great - thanks.  I saw something about having to pay USD100 000 .... This is not an option for us.