Basic questions about driving in Shanghai

Hi,

We are moving to Shanghai this summer and are coming down to some last minute decisions.  We have 2 small children, and drive our car with 2 car seats for them.  I have questions, I hope you can help:

How do most expat families travel?
Our children are both younger than 5, how will they get to school?(pre-K and Kindergarten)

How much does a driver cost?  $1000 usd a month?  Does he have certain hours or is he on call?

Should we transport our own cars over or buy one over there?  Do American expats drive as I have read so many articles that it is advised against.

Is it very difficult to acquire a lisence?  Should we bring our car and rent a driver?  Or buy a car and rent a driver? 

Please advise as I think I'm on overload of reading articles but joined the forum so I could ask for myself-thank you!

Hi,

Let me answer your question, maybe it can help you decide well.

1. not to worry about your kids go to Kindergarten, money can resolve this problem.

2. You can hire a driver in Shanghai, by two ways are OK, it also depends how much you can pay. talk to the driver if your bottom is $1000 each month.

3. better buying another car in China, you will pay lots of taxes if you transport your car from U.S. to China

4. not difficult to get a Chinese dirve licence
if you have a friend to help you and teach you how to pass the exam. I can give you more advise if you come here soon.

Yo , anymore question? don't hesitate to tell me, I will help you. Have a nice day.

Thank you for your time, I am sure I will have additional questions. 

How does it work if you have a driver?  Does he wait outside or come to your house for certain times of the day?

Hi , you can arrange your schedule for your driver, if you want a 24hrs/7days driver, you call then he comes, so you'd better having a room for your driver OR hire a driver living very closed to your house, better hiring a local shanghaiese driver, it will run risk if you hire drivers from other cities or provinces, most chance to commit crime ...very dangerous. take care.

I'm not sure how helpful this is for Shanghai (we live in Beijing), but I wrote a guide for getting your Chinese driver's license- (themiddlekingdom.org/chinese-drivers-license-guide/) that should be able to help you understand the process for getting a license.

Driving in China can be a hassle. Especially depending on where you live. I would look into getting a driver for a couple months and then decide if you think you can handle the driving. At that point you can look into getting a license and a car.

Thank you, based on these answers-I don't think we need to transport a car over.  I will definitely wait on a license and am not sure what to do about the carseat situation.  If we ride in taxis, it may be like NYC, where you just hop in with children on your laps.

Coolwagen-regarding the "room for a driver", do you mean a TV room or a kitchen for him to wait in for me until I'm ready?  I am not familiar with this, excuse all the questions.

Hi, you can ride in taxi, or you can hire a driver who has his own car already, that will save your budget.

The "Room" which I mentioned before is a bedroom for him, it's convenient for you if you hire a 24 hrs/ 7 days fulltimer, he will live together with you. Certainly, you could estimate budget because it's a little bit expensive and run a risk if driver is a stranger.

well, leave me message if you have any other question.