IT - middle management - expat sallary expectations - Filipino

Hi! I recently got an offer from a company for a middle management position, but their office is in Hanoi and i have to come in as an expat.

I cant quite put my finger into the salary expectations as i hope to cover my cost of living and keep some for myself.

anybody got a good idea how much a supervisor/manager for an IT company range be? Filipino expat to be exact.

Do a search on some of the websites like Vietnam Works.

I think anything above USD$2000/month for IT middle management in Hanoi would be considered a "good" salary, but I might not be up to date and maybe salaries shot up in this field in the past few years.

I used to study IT salaries for expats back in 2011 and I found out it was better for me to work 10 hours a week as a consultant for Western companies than any full time job in Vietnam :lol:

thanks!
The salary range i was asking for around that price. but im not sure if there should be like a premium considering im an expat and if that sallary is enough for me to live comfortably in hanoi and save some.

For middle management I'm not sure being an expat is such an advantage if you don't speak fluent Vietnamese. You can definitely live comfortably with USD$2000 in Hanoi, but you probably won't be throwing a party every night  :lol:

hahaha thanks!
i wont be throwing a party lol. but yeah, they took me in for an expertise thing.
video game development is not yet that grown in Vietnam so they had to bring in people like us.

I'm assuming these are mobile games because I'd be very surprised if there's any Playstation or Xbox game development in Vietnam! My city of Montreal is a hotbed for game development with Electronic Arts and Ubisoft hiring hundreds of people.

radiktus3 wrote:

video game development is not yet that grown in Vietnam so they had to bring in people like us.

Was Flappy Bird just a black swan phenomenon?

THIGV wrote:
radiktus3 wrote:

Was Flappy Bird just a black swan phenomenon?

Yes, But that DID kick off mobile game development in Vietnam. now with all these developers, western companies are looking at them as a cheap and passionate army, so they bring experienced people like us to manage and lead these raw gems

Filipino here and also looking for IT job opportunities in Saigon. It was NOT easy, out of about 30 job vacancies I have applied, only one responded back. And the HR said the maximum range they can offer to an expat is US$1200-2200 and that is depending on the interview performance. I asked if we can raise it up to $2500 since I am applying for a senior level and I will be relocating for this job and relocation is nor sponsored by this IT company. She did not respond after that.. I guess 2500 is too much

I suspect that, like banking, you are in an occupation where there is an overabundance of local college graduates.

A friend is a professor at a state university. I know his salary - it sucks big time.

Tell me, WHY would they hire you if they have local talent and yes, some speak good English. (A few days ago, I met a seaman earning $ 1,100 on a Japanese ship. He has been autodidact, self-taught).

Take $ 2,000 (I would be happy to get $ 1,500 TBH). The company could recruit a whole team of post-graduate IT students, some may even be good at what they do.

OTOH, good luck and may you get the salary you need and want!

thanks for the replies.
i hope i get what i need and want.
the company im gunning for is an international company that has a hanoi branch and for some reason wanted the game producers to be expats as locals failed to pass (according to them!) their standards.

Folks don't forget that we're talking about middle or senior management here, not about fresh students out of university. Salaries are still "low", but you're not really competing with youngsters at that level. Still, I know someone who has a good position at a human resource company in Saigon and they hired a Westerner for a VP position and he makes around USD$2000 a month, so there's a cap on what you can expect salary-wise no matter what level you are.