Best cities for retirement in the Philippines

Waffling on as I do hdgh. You mentioned "coming up with a decent place to live".
We live in a fantastic place, (no where near a city) truly wonderful and meets all our needs and what we looked for for 3 years before we purchased, our criteria was as follows: Absolute beachfront, large lot (I'm a bit of a gardener), existing decent solid concrete home (now 8 years old), not too far from town (4Kms), not too far from Bens family and friends but far enough that they will think twice about loafing on us (40 mins drive in traffic), a very quiet area, no or minimal Karaoke, no roosters or barking dogs, no burning of rubbish especially plastics as they tend to do here, low crime/safe area, privacy and respect. Great private hospital 25 mins. Prioritise your needs.

LOL, we lucked out on the (1) rooster that crows from 430 to 500 am every day but I am up and about anyway and Ben never hears it as he is sleeping and the sound is distant, the burning of rubbish does happen (us included but trees and timber) and at least once a week I smell plastic burning so while not perfect has pretty well met our needs. As a single guy it would not be my choice but as a couple has worked beautifully, the neighbours (mostly westerners) are nice and we generally keep to ourselves apart from the odd drinkies, we are on a dead end road so only local traffic from the 7 houses in our street.(6 vacant lots)
To date working well and we are enjoying, this came at a cost, heaps of research online with agents, private sellers, google maps and of course the unbeatable boots on the ground for 3 plus years, A great place to live that suits our needs and wants but not for everyone that's for sure no different to us going back and living in Manila, been there and never again.
Back to the OP's thread perhaps it should have read "Best cities, Province or even Barangay for retirement in the Philippines". It all comes back to the individuals needs and wants, we all wear different shoes and clothes and what one likes the other hates.
One has to taste the flavours, the dirt before a rational decision can be made no matter the economics, geographical location, safety, love, comfort zone and then as it always seems the almighty budget.

Cheers, Steve.

How about Clark? I heard that place is booming nowadays

I love Manila it's expensive to live and the traffic is terrible beyond belief. The traffic hold you hostage to the area you in certain time of the days and night. Once you get past the traffic, pollution, and cost of living Manila is awesome 24/7 city. There always something going on concert, sport events, real club like New York, Vegas and LA . Manila you will either love it or hated it, another thing I have never experienced a brown out my whole 5 years staying in a condo or water shortages.

Hi, sounds real nice. Where do you live if you don't mind. I have a beachfront lot here in Tobi's Fourier, Panay, antique, 3yrs now. Not 100 % about staying here. Hospital not so close. I like gardening and fishing. Checking out other places. I like a quite laid back life. Thanks

Vietnam may be cheaper. Danang 2br house US$100  week 2017 Vung tau nice 1Br apartment Au$240 a month manager dropped to so i  stay. Ok unit cheeky women cleaned once a week, Food cheap excep wine, cheese, milk much more than Australia. Power $7 a WEEK. Internet $15 a month. I saved $100 a week on a $400 a week pension ran a scooter.
Vietnam may be cheaper than Philippines.

Hello . I have been living in Samar for 10 years on a tourist Visa  renewed here every 6 months
at immigration in Calbayog  . Lots of great Bike riding , here to Leyte and to Northern Samar .
Love it . However many other great places here to live , like Batangas , it's close to puerto Galera
And not far from Manila . Also Dumagetti is magic , and great places to visit all around Negros
Also Iloilo In Panay a beautiful spot to visit or retire . Cagayan De Oro also is safe and great rides along the coast . Many expats in all those places . Very peaceful where I am and also cheap to live . U can get a 2 bedroom apartment in some places for 5000 Peso a month . I have some Australian friends living there on and off . Best is to spend a week in various places until you find somewhere you like and get
A monthly rental  room Or apartment . Love the Philippines. Friendly , safe and fun .

@bigpearl Puerto Galera

How about Clark? I heard that place is booming nowadays

- @kindawn
Booming mean overheated prices...   :)
He meant ‘booming' in terms of having a ‘bonk' :)
He meant ‘booming' in terms of having a ‘bonk' smile.png
- @Lotus Eater

Havent Clark been bonking allways?   :)

@Bhavna I was also looking for retirement villages in the Philippines because my son-in-law is from there and we used to vacation there. Although it is growing increasingly crowded, I appreciate the atmosphere and the people there. Many Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese visit the Philippines, notably Cebu, for a number of reasons. We are now residing in a retirement community ([link moderated]) and plan to migrate within the next year.

@Abirra Nartel Click on the chain symbol below and your link will be posted in your article or comment.

My wife from cebu city that her choice of retirement place I would choose Argo lovely place but it will never happen 😄
This chain of sharing these actual expat experiences in many locales in the Philippines has been enlightening and educational.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Dacudao area of Davao?  My Wife's family lives in Dacudao and we are contemplating moving there or reasonably close by next year.
@msmichaelstinson161

The first commandment on relocating to the Philippines:

Do not move to within 100 miles of your beloved wifes family. Preferably stay on another island.

Here endeth the lesson.

@Lotus Eater Lol

@Lotus Eater

Flawless wisdom.

I only wish  knew this 4 years ago!
@Lotus Eater

Flawless wisdom.

I only wish  knew this 4 years ago!
- @kristopherryanwatson
I knew it long before geting in any trouble...  :)

@coach53

1f605.svg1f605.svg1f605.svg1f605.svg

Hello everyone,

An increasing amount of people want to spend their retirement abroad. Would you consider giving a few tips to those looking into the Philippines for their retirement?

What are the most attractive cities for retirees in the Philippines?

Why are these the best cities in the Philippines for retirement (quality of life, cost of living, climate, health, security, etc.)?

Are there any specific areas in the Philippines where there are special retirement schemes or retirement-friendly residential areas?

Are there any activities suitable for retirees in the Philippines?

Do you have any tips on where to start looking or how to choose a suitable city for ones retirement in the Philippines?

If you have, yourself, chosen to spend your retirement abroad, please tell us what city you have chosen and why?

Please share your experience.

Bhavna

- @Bhavna
I've compiled a list of blogs of the best places to retire here in the Philippines for those who are looking for the perfect place to retire here in the Philippines. Feel free to read them below:

- vistalandinternational.com/blog/Where-is-the-best-place-to-retire-in-the-Philippines
- vistalandinternational.com/blog/retirement-paradise-in-visayas-one-of-the-best-place-to-retire-in-the-philippines
- camella.com.ph/top-10-retirement-cities-in-the-philippines/
- lamudi.com.ph/journal/best-places-in-the-philippines-for-foreign-retirees/

@msmichaelstinson161

The first commandment on relocating to the Philippines:

Do not move to within 100 miles of your beloved wifes family. Preferably stay on another island.

Here endeth the lesson.
- @Lotus Eater

Agreed the sign : ">"  is key.

1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg1f600.svg

Manwonder why wouldn't I want to live close to my Wife's family?
- @msmichaelstinson161

That is based on my personal life experience here having lived with my better halves single mother & her youngest son for some 6yrs (She passed in late 2017) Just before I retired...may she 'RIP' & I'd rather not talk about it here.
- @msmichaelstinson161

You will be able to answer that question yourself after your relocation in the Philippines.

On behalf of all the Forum members please say Hi to all the extended family on your arrival.

'Wish you were here ?'
@Lotus Eater
Agree... after only 2 months, I moved us 4 hours away from the family (family = actual family, and about 150 "cousins")... and they ALL look at you the same as you would look at a pile of money...  $$$... 4 hours seems to be good.  I am generous, but when I am told that I am expected to pay for almost everything any time the "family" gathers.... ya.. not happening.  I don't mind Sometimes.... on my terms... but expected!  Not!
- @msmichaelstinson161

SOME have been lucky/skilled to get good family-in-laws
but TO MANY have got in big trouble by settling close, even building house (partly) living in same house as relatives - and been scamed at all...

In between the good and the evil are the COMMON many relatives arriving often at meal time to get free meals, asking for loans they never (can) pay back, which make foreigners budget break. Some have got broke by such... Even called kuripot after become broke when not paying the others anymore.
This group isnt evil - but some are lazy :) - expecting support so they dont need to work themselves  - its partly a CULTURAL thing   
=The one with money pay for all.   
And the LAW tell HAVE TO support, BUT many have missunderstood it, it ISNT valid when people are short of money and havent done their best to solve their own problems.  (Except when parents and grandparents are OLD, then they have right to support from kids - and their spouses, not needing to work.)
And most Filipinos believe ALL foreigners are rich - and in most Filipinos messure we are by we could afford to travel to Phils -  so they dont believe it when forerigners cant afford to support them.