Best cities for retirement in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

An increasing amount of people want to spend their retirement abroad. Would you consider giving a few tips to those looking into Cambodia for their retirement?

What are the most attractive cities for retirees in Cambodia?

Why are these the best cities in Cambodia for retirement (quality of life, cost of living, climate, health, security, etc.)?

Are there any specific areas in Cambodia where there are special retirement schemes or retirement-friendly residential areas?

Are there any activities suitable for retirees in Cambodia?

Do you have any tips on where to start looking or how to choose a suitable city for one's retirement in Cambodia?

If you have, yourself, chosen to spend your retirement abroad, please tell us what city you have chosen and why?

Please share your experience.

Bhavna

My husband and I decided to spend some of our retirement years in Siem Reap for several reasons:
It is a very green city (plenty of trees and flowers everywhere)
It is of a reasonable size, not too far from Tonle Sap and the mountains
It is safe
It is very cultural
It is quite cosmopolitan (many expats live here)
It has an adequate choice of international restaurants and great grocery stores
The people are very friendly and always willing to help
Prices are quite low, apparently commodities are cheaper than in Phnom Penh.
Condos are very reasonably priced and easy to find, including for those who desire more luxurious accommodations; gas and water is cheap, however, electricity is quite expensive.

Don't choose Cambodia unless you can bear the climate which is hot and humid everywhere, particularly in April (the hottest month of the year) and May.

Downsize is the air, environmental, and noise pollution, and the general lack of hygiene, but we've seen worse in other Asian countries.
People might have to travel to Thailand for adequate medical facilities and experienced health professionals.

There are certainly several activities to take part in, I'm unaware of specific activities for retirees.
Taking a cooking class is very popular; excursions to the mountains and the lakes, hiking, walking, Zumba club, yoga classes, massages, spas, a 10 k race and a half marathon planned for August for the more athletic among us, exhibitions, museums, a famous circus, the famous Angkor temples right outside the city, great bars, French bakeries and restaurants, the various day and night markets, all these combine to make life in SR quite pleasant.
It also boasts an international airport with connections to many countries in Asia just a few kilometers outside the city.

It is quite easy to receive a retirement visa in Cambodia, and SR is a provincial city that certainly has a lot to offer.

Hello Bhavna.

I have written about this earlier so I won't repeat that. My favourite places are PP followed by SR for now, Kampot and Koh kong for the retirees that search for quiet environments.
I leave out Sihanoukville for now, it's a giant construction site and that will last another 2-3 years. After that it will be a great seaside resort, modern large city, ideal for sea/beach loving retirees.

One thing I want to mention which is quite important.
When we talk retirees we must realize that some retirees are not in optimal health.
If you are a retiree with health issues or the risk of a stroke or heart failure, stay in PP. It's the only place with adequate health care in the form of Royal PP hospital, a subsidiary of Bangkok Dusit Health services. A state of the art hospital with mainly Thai doctors and the most modern equipment.

So no need to go to Thailand for that. Imagine you live in SR and you suffer a stroke, go to Thailand? no way. Go to PP from there? No way. You won't arrive alive.

So if retirees have some health issues and want to live in Cambodia, live in PP!

Regards

Joe

There are ppl living in SR that go to Thailand for their health, it is their choice and they must have their own reasons for that. That is just the way it is and people must be aware of that possibility too.

There might also be various reasons why retirees prefer to choose to live in SR instead of in PP.
And naturally if one suffers from a heart condition, it is important to make the right choice as to where to retire based on the medical facilities, making that aspect a prime condition.