Information about a job opportunity in Malta

Hello everyone!  :)  I am Alban, from Albania and I'd like some information regarding a job as waiter in Malta. If anyone can tell me something more about Malta, salaries, life costs overall so that I can estimate if this job is to be taken in consideration.
I have been told by a recruitment agency here in Albania about jobs as waiter in Malta. 5 euros per hour, for a total of 1200 euros a month,  1 year contract. The company in Malta provides accomodation but they will keep 150 euros from my salary every month because of it. Food will be offered at the work place and the other meals I will have the equipments to cook at home(where I will be living with room mates). The recruitment agency requires a 500 euros fee, and I will pay the plane ticket too. So the immediate costs to pay for this job will be around 750 euros. Then I don't know what other hidden costs may pop up on the way... So, if anyone here works as waiter in Malta or lives in Malta, I'd be very happy to hear from them, their opinions. Is 1050 euros enough to afford the life in Malta?

AlbanianGuy wrote:

The recruitment agency requires a 500 euros fee, and I will pay the plane ticket too.

It's very probably a scam - Don't send a penny

The thing is that I will have to buy the plane ticket myself, pay the recruitment agency 500 euros beforehand, then they will hand over the work contract and invitation from the company in Malta. I was surprised when they told me there is no interview needed because I will receive training once I land in Malta. Seems very odd to me because before getting a job you have to do a job interview.

AlbanianGuy wrote:

I was surprised when they told me there is no interview needed.

100% scam

Here's how it goes ..

You send the cash and buy the tickets
You never hear a word from them again

Fred wrote:

Here's how it goes ..

You send the cash and buy the tickets
You never hear a word from them again

I will have to buy the plane ticket today for Monday departure, then show up at the agency's office to pay the fee and get the work contract and invitation. I am not really convinced by this "system"

also do the maths, 1200 @ 5 per hour thats 55 to 60 hours a week 10 hours a day on a 6 day a week basis?

Even if this was not a scam (its a scam) it would be entirely illegal.

volcane wrote:

also do the maths, 1200 @ 5 per hour thats 55 to 60 hours a week 10 hours a day on a 6 day a week basis?

well I thought that waiters work 8 hours per day, all week. I don't know how it works in Malta, but here in Albania a waiter work everyday. There are no days off.

As Fred & volcane have said, its a scam.

When employers are looking for workers, it's them that pay the agency. NOT you.

SimCityAT wrote:

all recruitment agencies in Albania that offer job opportunities abroad require payment. Some 500, some 800, can even go as far as 1500 euros. I don't know of any recruitement agency that does not demand you to pay them.

AlbanianGuy wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

all recruitment agencies in Albania that offer job opportunities abroad require payment. Some 500, some 800, can even go as far as 1500 euros. I don't know of any recruitement agency that does not demand you to pay them.

I thought the agency was in Malta?

AlbanianGuy wrote:
volcane wrote:

well I thought that waiters work 8 hours per day, all week. I don't know how it works in Malta, but here in Albania a waiter work everyday. There are no days off.

Working as you describe is illegal in the European Union. They would of course try but that does not make it legal.

SimCityAT wrote:
AlbanianGuy wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I thought the agency was in Malta?

No, the company that offers the job(s) is in Malta. The recruitment agency is in Albania. Though, I don't know if there is a recruitment agency in Malta that has contacted the agency in Albania and they collaborate to find employers.  That why I said in the original post that I am not sure if some other hidden cost may pop up later.

volcane wrote:
AlbanianGuy wrote:
volcane wrote:

Working as you describe is illegal in the European Union. They would of course try but that does not make it legal.

Right, and who'd stop them from making me work 10 hours a day all week? Certainly not me, I'd be so deep in debts that I'd not make a sound.

Pay them, then report back as to if you got a job or not.
As it's your money and you seem desperate to find reasons it isn't a scam, we can find out of you're right or not.

AlbanianGuy wrote:

Right, and who'd stop them from making me work 10 hours a day all week? Certainly not me, I'd be so deep in debts that I'd not make a sound.

Save yourself the hassle. You are being ripped off, scammed and sent into what can only be described as servitude to greedy businesses offering you a sub living wage that does not respect you as a person.

Move to the EU to improve life not to become a prison to greedy people.

You are non EU nationality , did the scamming local agency told you ANYTHING about that ? About the documents you will need to work in Malta etc. As this is the main thing for you, not the job,housing etc.

Once in Malta you can find very easy a job as a waiter and a room to rent in shared apartment. Will take you not more than two days.

This is 100% scam