Looking for work in Chengdu ( MBA in Hospitality Management)

Hi Everyone !

My name is Raphael , i am coming from Belgium and i have a Bachelor and a MBA in Hospitality Management. I can speak some Chinese and i would really love to go to Chengdu and pursue my career in Hospitality there.

I don't really know where to look for jobs, it seems that the only positions in Chengdu for foreigners is English Teaching... Unfortunately even if i wanted to , i cannot since i am not a Native Speaker.

Do you think i have chance to find a position in Hotels/events management in Chengdu ? i would appreciate if you heard or know anyone that might be interested in hiring foreigners .

Thank you for your help !

Hon, that is a tough sell.

I came to China 15 years ago with over 30 years experience in manufacturing and design engineering. I located myself in the middle of one of the largest manufacturing areas, and even then, I couldn't find work in my field. So out of necessity, I started teaching. Then while I taught, I looked for work. It took me a while, but after three years, I was finally able to obtain something in my field.

China is NOT just another nation on the map.

It is large, enormous, huge nation filled with hard-working nerds. Everyone is aggressively trying to outdo everyone else. The pace of life in the big cites will be enough to make your head spin. If you want to come to China that expect to hustle, do the hard and difficult work, and sacrifice.

For most of my first four years in China, I worked 12 hour days on Saturday and Sunday with no lunch and only a ten minute break (pee run) on the top of the hour. Then I came home. Ate, and looked for work in my field. If you are not willing to do the same, then I suggest you not bother trying.

That being said, China is a most excellent place if you are not afraid of hard work, learning new cultures and language and adapting to a new pace of life. China will change you, and it will be for the better.

I suggest that you take a good long and hard look at what you want out of life. Then see if China can help you on that path. If it can, then you need to come out here and visit a second or third tier city and start interviewing at the hotels there. Just go walk in. Talk to the management and interview on the spot. use a shotgun approach. Do not give up.

After you have around 30 hotel walk-in interviews completed, then go to the first tier cities. Repeat, only this time, you are now an expert at interviewing for hospitality positions.

Note, and I do not mean to be condescending, but there are cultural differences here in China that will make you blush. Be prepared for that, for you are in the hotel and recreation business that is very, very competitive. You might have to be creative in how you present yourself and your skills and abilities. Be the best that you can be. Show an earnest interest in what you want, and never give up. I am sure that you will do fine.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply !  i am currently talking to two employers ( hotel chain) in Chengdu and Hangzhou. They seem interested but the only problem is the visa , we haven't talked about that yet but i believe it will be hard even though i have a Bachelor and a MBA ....

Your career in china is impressive !

I believe if things don't work i coud also start teaching and look for a position on the side but i just think that i am too young and i cannot waste time teaching right now ... But it's a possibility !

Hon, I am going to be frank. You will be fine.

Do not be afraid. If you have an educational background of any type, the fact that you have a job officer will take processing your visa very easy. DO NOT WORRY. I hope that I am clear on this.

If it doesn't go your way, then... DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep pushing. I believe in you and you should as well. It might seem hard and difficult, but you have what it takes, and I believe that you can achieve your dream. Go for it!

Maybe I can help you. Do you need my contact info? Or just send me your contact info.