Moving to Guadalajara

Can someone give me some tips on what working in Guadalajara is like? Im 31 and want to move to central/ South America for a change. I speak a bit of Spanish and work for a charity back home in London. Does anyone know if there are NGO jobs going in Guadalajara? And do they pay ok?
I'm also open to living in other cities! Any tips welcome. Ideally I'd like to be somewhere with hot weather, job prospects, a good expat community, varied food and not too far from the sea. (Also, I'm blonde so somewhere vaguely safe which I've heard Guadalajara is compared to other big Mexican cities)
Thanks guys!!

Hi "Valvarez", your best option would be to contact (by phone) the Mexican consulate or embassy within the area where you reside. They will inform you about all aspects for a working VISA (normally done by the NGO or company on your behalf)

Also, you could contact some NGO to ask for working offers in Mexico especially since you are already working for a charity organization in London.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

I have lived in Puerto Vallarta for two years and I'm moving to Guanajuato, where I will work in Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.  These two cities are up in the mountains with only 20% humidity, compared with 80% humidity in Puerto Vallarta.  I would hate to live in Guadalajara!  Too much traffic, people and crime.

You need to have someone sponsor you for a work visa.  What is your profession?  What type of work will you be doing in Mexico?

Regards,

Jake

There are many NGO job sites, some of which include: Idealist, The Foundation Center. & the Philanthropy News Digest. In my experience in international development, most if not all organizations will require fluent Spanish unless you are applying for an internship or volunteer position.

Best of luck,
Melanie

Hi thanks for the advice

Hi Melanie,

Thanks yes I have been looking at all the NGO sites... I am a little concerned about the Spanish. I can get by but I'm not fluent. They do all seem to say it's necessary however I know lots of people who have moved abroad and work for NGOs who don't does a word of the language. So I'm tempted to just make the move out there and see where I get!

May I ask, do u work in this field yourself?

Thanks