Inquires on setting up a Private Hospital in Peru.

I am a medical Doctor, And i want to set up a private hospital with  Peru, from my research on Healthcare In Peru. Peru is a country with approximately 31 million people, but MedLife reports that one-third of the population does not have access to basic health care. In rural parts of the country where poverty is more prominent, healthcare is even more inaccessible. I have plans to help and assist the people from this Rural Area with a almost free medical care that i can give to enable them have accessibility and attentions to their health needs.
I actually need an advice on any one who can maybe tell me some of the Rural area this might be needed more and Government  licences that i might need, and also how friendly and welcoming the Peruvians might see this.

Hi,

First, you must consider the language. Intermediate level or preferably fluent in Spanish. You could find several organizations authorized to cooperate in the area of healthcare if you want to work as a volunteer and they will check your experience and credentials. Peruvians have a high regard for humanitarian and expert aid.

If you want to do this on your own, as you say in your message, you would have to apply for a work visa at the DIGEMIN (General Direction of Migration and Naturalization). You have to set up a Peruvian company as a foreigner and then employ yourself as the general manager, after getting your contract approved by the Peruvian Labor Ministry. Foreigners may not be employed for a period of more than 3 years. Then you will be able to get your alien's identity card (carné de extranjería). This card is valid for one year, so you will have to renew it for the coming years. But make first an appointment at Interpol to apply for the so called "Ficha de canje internacional." All foreigners except Venezuelans are processed at the Interpol office in Surco (police station in Monterrico).

You must get at the Peruvian embassy all of your documents legalized, stamped and translated and then going for your licence to practice medicine in Peru which involves getting your degree recognized by the SUNEDU (National Superintendency of University Higher Education), a government agency that verifies foreign credentials (some foreigners have to take additional education to meet Peruvian standard) and to pass the credentialing exam at the Medical College of Peru.

Just for information: The rural and urban-edge health service (SERUMS ) is a mandatory requirement to qualify for a second specialty or to work in public hospitals and public health care facilities here in Peru. Places: Arequipa, Ancash, Junín, Ayacucho, Cusco, Cerro de Pasco, Huancavelica, San Martín and more.

All the best,  :)

Ruthie

Wow! Thank you very much for this details information.