Relocating to Mauritius - Choosing an area

Hello! I am new to expat.com and soon to be new to Mauritius, as I will be moving there at the end of this month. I am looking into housing accommodation and am hoping to get more insight on a specific area. I have looked at the Balaclava area. Does anyone have any feedback for that area? Is it safe? Is it more locals, expats, or a mix? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Balaclava is mostly a resort area with many high end hotels and restaurants. Very few locals actually live there and even fewer expats and there's not much to do if you are not part of the hotels and their activities.

Most locals live in the surrounding towns. Further North you have the busiest tourist areas of the island and this is where you will find most expats.

Like everywhere in Mauritius, Balaclava is generally safe provided you observe some general rules especially as a newcomer.

Good to know! I will be working in Ebene, and would prefer to live north, but the commute seems quite long. I found some housing that was of interest to me, but in Balaclava and I know very little about the island. Thanks for the feedback WinstonH!

Welcome Sophy,
Balaclava is not the place to be for a newcomer. I would advise a more accessible and populous region in the North. With the new Verdun Road, Ebene has become closer - 30 min drive and no traffic jam.
You'd better take a short-term rental upon arrival and then choose a longer-term accommodation once you are used to the island. We can help where possible.
Hans

Baclaclava is not suitable if you will join office in ebene.Heavy traffic jam in the morning.
Will be suitable if yu choose regions such as  Quatre Bornes , moka , Rose Hill, Reduits which is nearby to Ebene.