Application to enter Mauritius

Hello everyone,
I'm a Nigerian married to a Mauritian lady. We had our wedding in Nigeria 3 months ago and soon after, I and my wife made an application to enter Mauritius. It is unbelievable that since three months now, we haven't heard anything positive from PIO.

My wife returned back to Mauritius alone  about 3 months ago to personally submit and process the documents after it seemed like they weren't attending to our mails and calls, Mind you, she calls PIO and even PMO virtually every week to get updates. It's frustrating because they ain't saying anything neither was any query raised about our documents because everything was duly legalised.

I want to know if Mauritius doesn't grant entry to Nigerians married to a Mauritian.

N/B:
1) I have visited Mauritius before and that was when I met my wife

2) I just recently heard about another Nigerian spouse experiencing same challenge for over 7 months now.

Please can someone kindly explain to me what's going on because it's really frustrating.

Hello,

There are many reasons as to why your application is taking some time now to materialise.

Firstly, things do take time in Mauritius and in your case it might be just that they are taking longer than usual and communication issues between the PMO and applicants are nothing unusual.

Immigration laws have recently been amended in Mauritius and they now confer greater powers to the Prime Minister to decide who can enter the country or not. This requires deeper checks and due diligence and I would say you are most probably not the only one in this situation right now.

Also, marriage of Mauritian citizens to foreigners are now under greater scrutiny given some recent escalation of sham marriages which many use to bypass otherwise stringent immigration requirements and conditions. And Nigerian nationals along with other nationalities, have been involved in such cases recently.
Mauritius certainly does not bar any foreign national from entering the country but I would say when it comes to marriages, things have become more complicated.

Thing is there not much you can do about it other than wait. It can take a few more months and even years.

Did I just hear, 'or even years'? Wow.

But why is Mauritius different, this is the first time I'm hearing this. I can't seem to know any other country having this kind of system

Mauritius is not at all different in this regard. Most countries have varying levels of vetting procedures before a foreign spouse is granted a resident permit.

The difference lies in the conditions and the level of bureaucracy which makes things take longer than usual.

Thank you WistonH. But in this case, I'm not applying for a resident permit, all I'm applying for is to enter Mauritius and see my wife

I don't quite get it.

So the application you mentioned in your first post is for what then?

if you are not looking for a resident permit and only want to visit your wife, you just  have to come to Mauritius  as a tourist. You are granted visa on arrival for 15 days as a Nigerian.

They said I'd have to apply first,

There's nothing to apply if you are visiting as a tourist.

You need to apply for a permit only if you are coming to live long term or work.

Marko123 wrote:

Thank you WistonH. But in this case, I'm not applying for a resident permit, all I'm applying for is to enter Mauritius and see my wife

Have you overstay your visit during previous trips?
Have you tried to change your status whilst on a tourist visa for what ever reason?
Did you encounter a refusal then/ and if affirmative were you given a reason.

Thank you @External, yes I regrettably over-stayed during my last visit as a result of my mother-in-laws health status.
I also wrote any apology letter to the PMO via PIO in explanation of this.

Well , sorry to be blunt:

Every action has consequences - whether one is a victim of the laws of Mauritius or any other country around the  world.

Immigration officers have seen , heard, experienced every single excuse in the book when someone goes against the iaws of any state and , whether your case was genuine or not , you've been black-listed.

Now everything makes sense.

You should have specified this critical aspect right from the beginning.

Like External said, you have been blacklisted based on your previous overstay of your tourist visa.

How can someone live and work in Mauritius if someone wish to stay long how can someone get a work permit?

If someone come for a visit like tourist how can soneone change is status from tourist to work permit howhoe much can it cost and duration for a Nigeria citizen also is their work for foreginers if their is work what can someone do to get a job in mauritius

How can someone apply for permit in Mauritius also can someone get a work?

Seems no one is responding to your questions..  Try and see if u can chat any of them privately... I am equally interested in moving to Mauritius on a working visa.

You need to first get a job then the company will apply for an occupational permit on your behalf